Worm farms?

Chickologist

Songster
Jul 19, 2019
ʎʞɔnʇuǝꓘ
I recently heard about Worm farms, and the moment I heard it I thought of chickens.
I want a worm farm for my chickens.
Do any of you know how to do it? Like, can you just get a Rubbermaid container, put soil in it, get some worms and put them in there, then just let them breed? Or is it more complicated, Like I have to build a special box for them and stuff.

Can someone tell me how to do it please?

-Chick :)

You are going to want red worms, if it is earth worm types you are speaking of. They can adapt to indoor living and would freeze in really cold weather outside. You can get redworms at the bait store. They are kept in peat moss, leaf litter, wet cardboard, something they can ingest.
Or you may be speaking of meal worms, the little ones that are about an inch long and 1/8 inch wide. They can be grown inside, fed a variety of different meals and grains, also bread, banana peels, nothing too wet or too much. These are available at the bait store too.
There is a lot of info on line for growing both of these. Probably too much info for this thread. "Worms Eat My Garbage" is an older publication but still very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom