worm issue

slordaz

hatchaholic
5 Years
Apr 15, 2015
Idaho
This is why it's so important to quarantine ,Started them on corid for looks like coccidosis as just got these chicks yesterday and woke up to this and one with just some bloody, these are pullets approximately 10-12 weeks old, what would be best treatment for worms they are pretty light, they are eating and drinking. This is what was under one of the buff Orpington's when I woke up this morning
70556568_868817980167311_910921731227516928_n.jpg

This is why it's so important to quarantine ,Started them on corid for looks like coccidosis as just got these chicks yesterday and woke up to this and one with just some bloody, these are pullets approximately 10-12 weeks old, what would be best treatment for worms they are pretty light, they are eating and drinking. This is what was under one of the buff Orpington's when I woke up this morningView attachment 1904926
Good for you on quarantining new birds!
Those look like Roundworms.

You can give Valbazen at 0.08ml per pound of weight orally, then repeat in 10 days. This will take care of most worms found in poultry (including Roundworms)

Fenbendazole (Safeguard) can also be used. For treatment of Roundworms only, dose at 0.23ml per pound of weight, given orally - repeat in 10 days. If you feel there may be other types of worms, give the Fenbendazole for 5 days in a row.

To be more effective worm in the morning when the crop is empty. Let them have water of course, but withhold feed for a few hours after they up.

I would continue the full course of Corid at severe outbreak dose for 5-7 days, then step down to preventative dose for another 3-5 days.
You may want to check them for lice/mites as well.

AFTER you finish with the Corid, offer some poultry vitamins for a few days. I would also give some buttermilk, yogurt or probiotics to help restore the gut too.

upload_2019-9-11_11-34-31.png

Good for you on quarantining new birds!
Those look like Roundworms.

You can give Valbazen at 0.08ml per pound of weight orally, then repeat in 10 days. This will take care of most worms found in poultry (including Roundworms)

Fenbendazole (Safeguard) can also be used. For treatment of Roundworms only, dose at 0.23ml per pound of weight, given orally - repeat in 10 days. If you feel there may be other types of worms, give the Fenbendazole for 5 days in a row.

To be more effective worm in the morning when the crop is empty. Let them have water of course, but withhold feed for a few hours after they up.

I would continue the full course of Corid at severe outbreak dose for 5-7 days, then step down to preventative dose for another 3-5 days.
You may want to check them for lice/mites as well.

AFTER you finish with the Corid, offer some poultry vitamins for a few days. I would also give some buttermilk, yogurt or probiotics to help restore the gut too.

View attachment 1904938
thank you, guess better grab a scale for them too while I'm at it, have never had an issue, but did think to send the picture to the breeder too so he knows his birds have an overload

thank you, guess better grab a scale for them too while I'm at it, have never had an issue, but did think to send the picture to the breeder too so he knows his birds have an overload
Good idea on both counts! A scale comes in handy. Definitely let the breeder know, for you to be seeing physical worms in the poop, that's an overload for sure. Worms feed off the host and "like" to stay inside, so for them to be expelled, there's not much "room" in there.
Hope they all do well. Post some photos of your new babies when you get a chance:)

nice to call vets on that, I am trying to figure out how much I would need , I have 6 pullets I need to treat with the valbazen that, they are on human scale as was all I had available reading about a lb each. they sell if for 6.00 dispensing fee and .22 a ml, I ordered some in but will be 5-7 days before it gets here
as not available other than at vet here

This is why it's so important to quarantine ,Started them on corid for looks like coccidosis as just got these chicks yesterday and woke up to this and one with just some bloody, these are pullets approximately 10-12 weeks old, what would be best treatment for worms they are pretty light, they are eating and drinking. This is what was under one of the buff Orpington's when I woke up this morningView attachment 1904926
Eewww...I am going to freak out when/if I ever find something like this. I read somewhere to mix DE in their feed every couple of months to prevent this. Hope this is true cause that is what I'm relying on. Again, eeewwww!

Eewww...I am going to freak out when/if I ever find something like this. I read somewhere to mix DE in their feed every couple of months to prevent this. Hope this is true cause that is what I'm relying on. Again, eeewwww!

I just give them mince garlic but these were pullets that I didn't hatch out myself, it boosts their immune and helps by they have a slight odor like the dogs we don't detect to help keep away external parasites,lice,mites, fleas etc, I just need to figure out 2 doses for 6 chickens so can buy the one med from the vet.

They are all seeming more perky with the Corid too. but need to clear the worm load some for them but need to tell vet how much I need, got a syringe that will measure up to a ml by .2 and that kinda math my brain is just laughing at me and telling me your gonna strain your brain on this one lol

I came up with for 6 chicks would be 12 ml for both treatments, but want to double check and should I just get 50 in case need to treat later?

Last edited:
I just give them mince garlic but these were pullets that I didn't hatch out myself, it boosts their immune and helps by they have a slight odor like the dogs we don't detect to help keep away external parasites,lice,mites, fleas etc, I just need to figure out 2 doses for 6 chickens so can buy the one med from the vet.

They are all seeming more perky with the Corid too. but need to clear the worm load some for them but need to tell vet how much I need, got a syringe that will measure up to a ml by .2 and that kinda math my brain is just laughing at me and telling me your gonna strain your brain on this one lol

I came up with for 6 chicks would be 12 ml for both treatments, but want to double checkand should I just get 50 in case need to treat later?
It's easier to order Valbazen online, Jefferspet.com
You're going to have to reworm your birds after the initial dosing and again in the future. The 500ml bottle will last you a long time and normally has a 2-3 year expiration date.
Dose each pullet 1/2cc orally using a syringe without a needle. Repeat again in 10 days. Valbazen treats all types of worms that chickens can get. It'll treat tapeworms but requires higher and frequent dosings and withholding feed.

It's easier to order Valbazen online, Jefferspet.com
You're going to have to reworm your birds after the initial dosing and again in the future. The 500ml bottle will last you a long time and normally has a 2-3 year expiration date.
Dose each pullet 1/2cc orally using a syringe without a needle. Repeat again in 10 days. Valbazen treats all types of worms that chickens can get. It'll treat tapeworms but requires higher and frequent dosings and withholding feed.
I ordered the bigger 500 ml bottle from allivet, but wasn't paying 25 extra to get it here in 2-3 days, and can go get it if I figure out how much I need right now to dose the 6 chicks that weight 1 lb each the vet will dispense by the ml and could get them treated today

will get pen cleaned and sanitized 2 times daily while treating them is that going to be enough?
here is a picture of when I brought them home

Attachments

• 69741904_2431002983847373_2575546794826006528_n.jpg
    69741904_2431002983847373_2575546794826006528_n.jpg
    655.3 KB · Views: 13

Back
Top Bottom