Worm prevention

KAT1064

In the Brooder
Mar 26, 2018
Benicia, CA
Hi! I am still fairly new to raising chickens. I got my first 3 girls in March 2017 and have 4 young pullets now. It occurred to me that I should de-worm my adult chickens since they do periodically free range and eat grubs and earthworms. I haven't seen any worms (yet), but want to be proactive. I've hard that Cayenne Pepper is a good prevention. I add this to their corn or oatmeal in the morning. However, I was checking out worm prevention products like AristoPet Wormenda Poultry Wormer, MavLab Avitrol Bird Wormer Syrup or Tablets, Skyes Big Pig & Poultry Wormer, or Wetsense Kilverm Pig & Poultry Wormer. Have any of you tried any/all of these products? I'd love some feedback.

Thank you!!

Hi @KAT1064 :frow Welcome To BYC

Everyone has their own opinion, but good husbandry practices, fresh water and a balanced poultry feed all go toward prevention of disease and parasites. As for using any of the products/methods you mentioned, you will have to do some research to determine if they are right for you.

A better way would be to have a fecal float performed a couple of times a year to check for worm load.

Hi, welcome to BYC! :frow

I haven't wormed my birds in 8 years. But since one girl had muddy bumm, took a float to the vet to see since people SWEAR that's worm symptoms. Incidentally my dog came in and scooted on the ground the same week... BOTH came back negative for worms. I won't treat without a fecal float to identify species and load to see IF I even need to treat and make sure I treat for the correct species IF needed, since not all meds treat all worms. But they are all poison and hard on the birds system. My birds free range and eat earth worms everyday. A possible source of other parasites, yes and maybe worse in some environments than others. But not a guaranteed source..

The ONLY worms that *may* ever be seen in chicken droppings are round worms and tape worm, and under heavy load. All other species actually stay living inside the intestine and ONLY their MICROSCOPIC eggs (oocysts) will pass in the feces.

My feed back... is I won't worm without getting a fecal float at the vet, which is between $18-25 here and can be done by ANY vet. They don't have to be avian.

Meh... cayenne pepper is hog wash to me... the theory it makes the environment uncomfy for the parasite and makes them exit through the anus.. same as pumpkin seed...

IF you are going to treat with Cayenne... I put the offer out to pay for before and after floats to prove it either does or does NOT have an effect on the count... verses saying oh I treated and don't have an issue. It's easy to assume something works if you don't have an issue... that doesn't make it true! Oh but now I see you already doing this.

Studies HAVE been done regarding DE worming efficacy in cattle... and it was proven BUNK... no matter how many people claim they use it for that. :pop

I'm all for natural IF it works... ;)

Sorry I am not familiar with any of the meds and their pluses or minuses verses the others.

IF something like cayenne was going to work... I would think not doing it on an everyday basis would provide more benefit that having it day in and day out.

Best wishes. :)

Hi, welcome to BYC! :frow

I haven't wormed my birds in 8 years. But since one girl had muddy bumm, took a float to the vet to see since people SWEAR that's worm symptoms. Incidentally my dog came in and scooted on the ground the same week... BOTH came back negative for worms. I won't treat without a fecal float to identify species and load to see IF I even need to treat and make sure I treat for the correct species IF needed, since not all meds treat all worms. But they are all poison and hard on the birds system. My birds free range and eat earth worms everyday. A possible source of other parasites, yes and maybe worse in some environments than others. But not a guaranteed source..

The ONLY worms that *may* ever be seen in chicken droppings are round worms and tape worm, and under heavy load. All other species actually stay living inside the intestine and ONLY their MICROSCOPIC eggs (oocysts) will pass in the feces.

My feed back... is I won't worm without getting a fecal float at the vet, which is between $18-25 here and can be done by ANY vet. They don't have to be avian.

Meh... cayenne pepper is hog wash to me... the theory it makes the environment uncomfy for the parasite and makes them exit through the anus.. same as pumpkin seed...

IF you are going to treat with Cayenne... I put the offer out to pay for before and after floats to prove it either does or does NOT have an effect on the count... verses saying oh I treated and don't have an issue. It's easy to assume something works if you don't have an issue... that doesn't make it true! Oh but now I see you already doing this.

Studies HAVE been done regarding DE worming efficacy in cattle... and it was proven BUNK... no matter how many people claim they use it for that. :pop

I'm all for natural IF it works... ;)

Sorry I am not familiar with any of the meds and their pluses or minuses verses the others.

IF something like cayenne was going to work... I would think not doing it on an everyday basis would provide more benefit that having it day in and day out.

Best wishes. :)
:goodpost: This is great advice! Do this

Welcome Wagon.gif
Welcome to backyard chickens

One other thing I wish to note about having samples taken to the vet. I do "flock" samples. Or herd, or pack.

Meaning several fresh samples collected from as many same species animals as possible combined into one... to get an overall look. This is an accepted practice and a great way to save some funds. No one I know can afford to have a float done for every animal.

I did buy my own microscope with intentions of running my own floats since I have so many animals it would pay for itself quickly and be more convenient. But I haven't yet narrowed down the skill to do so correctly. :)

Back
Top Bottom