1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

wormer ... found something new

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Yvonne37894, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Yvonne37894

Yvonne37894 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    Live Oak, FL
    Got results back. Have parasites. Recomended that we use a new product.

WormGuard Plus FROM JEFFERS http://www.jefferslivestock.com

Has anyone used this product?

Have you had good results for infestation rather than preventative?

I have DE (food grade)and want to mix my own, anyone have a formula for the amounts?

What should I use for the lactic acid bateria?

Any input would be appreciated!!!!!

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  2. Yvonne37894

Jul 13, 2009
    Live Oak, FL
    No response to orginal question, so now I have another question.

Now that I know that my flock has parasites,

Wouldn't it be better to give ivermectin to clear it up than start the DE?

With this treatment couldn't we still eat the eggs?

I have used the cattle pour on with success on other chickens.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Since you know you have parasites, I would go with the tried and true and then use the DE for preventative methods.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    It's my understanding that worm control methods such as adding DE and feeding pumpkin seeds/buttermilk combinations is more of a preventive step than a way to treat a confirmed worm infestation. If I saw worms I would be using something like the ivermectin or the valbazen.
    It's suggested that you discard the eggs for two weeks after using ivermectin or valbazen. No egg withdrawel with the DE.

5. Clove Girl

Clove Girl New Egg

Dec 2, 2009
    my favortie preventive is ripping open my cigarette buts after putting them otu really well. I smoke organic and tobacco is a powerful antiwormer.

6. SilkieTime

SilkieTime Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Joelton Tn.
    To start with I know very little about my chickens. Only reading on here for what I need. I read about your wormer. It said, Feed daily to keep poultry worm free. No egg or meat discard. This is new to me.
    Now I have read what Threehorses as said about wormers and wazine and Ivermectin. Do you know if you have wormes or not? Do you have mites or lice? How do you know you have a problem? How old are you chickens? I do know you don't want to give them Ivermectin first if you don't know if they have wormes or not.
    If you just have lice or mites you can dust with poultry dust and clean the coop, they are in the wood of the coop.

7. Yvonne37894

Jul 13, 2009
    Live Oak, FL
    I have not seen worms in the poo, and no lice or mites. I check often.
    The State of Florida said that I have parasites in the birds that I had tested.
    Was told "if you want to use non poison product use the new wormer product that Jeffers has on line."

I was asking if anyone had tried it and if so did it work for you?

The ingredients are simple. all of which I have on hand already.
    Cost being important to me.. I wanted to mix my own.

8. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    Dont wait too long to treat. Go with the tried and true med > the product from jeffers IMHO (and from reports users ) is that it is ineffective for an active infestation but quite helpful in preventive management.
    I do not think it wise that you try and "make your own" as with some of the herbs the therapeutic dosage is right at the toxic level and this has been researched and fined tuned with this product.

9. Yvonne37894

Jul 13, 2009
    Live Oak, FL
    dlhunicorn, Thank you for the info. I was thinking that I should treat rather than prevent. I just wanted to hear it from someone else. I had no considered that too much of a good thing could be toxic. Thank you again

10. I am starting my annual worming in the next few weeks. It is COLD outside and the birds will not be drinking to excess like they can.

I use ONE five gallon waterer and the appropriate amount a wazine.

After this is gone, I water as usual and then repeat the above about 12 days latter.

The birds will eat alot of poultry grain during this time and REALLY POOP a bunch.

The game bird feed comes out after the worming for the rest of the winter.

During this time I treat for leg mites and check the flock (entire flock) for mites or lice.

The bugs really seem to go for the birds when it becomes cold.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by