worms

lorihadams

Songster
11 Years
Sep 17, 2008
virginia
I found a pile of poo on the front patio this morning that had a worm in it. It was about 2 1/2 inches long. I have started my birds on ACV because the local TSC does not carry anything for worming chickens. My birds all seem fine, eating well, free ranging, perky, drinking water. What do I do? I don't know which chicken did it so I don't know which eggs are affected or how many might have it. Help!

If you want to know for sure what type of worm it is- have a fecal done by a vet. It sounds like a roundworm by the size- about vermicelli size in diameter and an inch or two long. There are many over the counter drugs to kill nematodes (roundworms). You may just need to drive farther- to a feed supply store, or order it online. Pyrantel and piperazine kill roundworms, as does the ivermectin class drugs. There are no on label drugs with published withdrawal times for these things. Most people don't eat the eggs for 2 weeks. Chickens get roundworms from the soil- the lifecycle is direct- poop to soil to beak. Most chickens on soil/free range have some worms, and can tolerate low levels just fine. Some people never deworm, some deworm during the winter when hens lay less.

I would get some roundworm medicine
wazine is good peperzine is also
do worm the ALL chickens soon

the thing about round worms is they can get so heavy in a chicken it is feeding the 90% portion of the feed stuff to theround worms
they propagrate into many in a small amt of time
if hens get overly infected they will la eggs with live worms in them
so do get some round worm medication

Back
Top Bottom