Worried incubator is not high enough.

Vyne

Chirping
Oct 7, 2018
New Zealand
Hi everyone,
I'm new here so hopefully this us the right place for this... but my duck eggs have started to hatch, just woke up to put more water in my incubator (it is having issues holding humidity even with a few vents closed.) And found my pipped egg hatched (which is awsome). The incubator doesn't have enough room for him to stand upright. It is a generic (very old) octagonal shaped, fan forced one that holds like 60 chicken eggs. My problem is if I leave him in there banging his head on the roof will it impede his development?
Sorry the pictures are not the best, this is also my first hatch and while this guy is fine his other pipped mate has pipped wrong end, glued himself and am sitting on my hands (after widening glued area so he can breathe and seeing still red veins and some yolk) until he is ready.

Attachments

• 20181009_055640.jpg
    20181009_055640.jpg
    325.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 20181009_055658.jpg
    20181009_055658.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 11
OPEN the vents!
There is still very much enough air flow for chicks/Eggs. There are 8 holes at the base on each side, one nozzle on top to turn to open or close and another vent on top that is mesh about 1/2 inch wide. I have only closed off the nozzle one because it helps keep my humidity high enough for lockdown. Oh it is also fan forced.

:welcome @Vyne
I have this very incubator. Needs a lot of babysitting! I agree with WV on fully opening/removing the vents. I dont have anything in mine they are just holes in the lid. I removed the vent plugs altogether.
Wet Kitchen paper is good in this incubator base to create the surface area for humidity. As said they should be fine once they come out in to the brooder.

969B4DF1-4384-44EC-98B4-0B2C07A35E7B.jpeg

4B6EBDF4-829A-493F-8D1F-560AE94144B6.jpeg

It is the vent plug itself that is the only hole tyat was plugged, just figured only 6 duck eggs in a 60 egg bator they would be able to breathe enough. It is good to know that someone else has used one if these with success. The temp dial on mine is useless never close to temp it is turned to and I have spent the last 27 days stressing lol.
I have two out now and fuzzy with the little guy who pipped the wrong end shrink wrapped... his shell was paper thin so it has been hard for him to not dry out too much over the incubation period.
I have one other one pipped just slightly at the wrong end...so we will just see how it goes.
Taken plug out now as lil shrink baby has a damp cloth around him and it is helping keep humidity.

Just have to say...I can't imagine fitting 60 eggs in there, let alone 60 chicks.
Lol I thought the same thing when they advertised it as a 60 egg incubator... maybe they were thinking quail eggs?????
...also lil shrinkwrap is out and has absorbed yolk but the waste is still attached to him because it is stuck somehow in the shell. shell... will it just dry up and fall off?

Back
Top Bottom