worst predators

First I would said well built coop with good protection, 2nd I would said gun to protect your birds from predators maybe more.. I don't know if u like to own guy or not though.

An electric fence with the bottom 3 feet reinforced with 1/2"x1/2" hardware cloth. Use pressure treated 4x4's for posts, not the metal posts that come with the wire, because that bows and bends. Cover the top of the run with deer netting. Get a rooster. Also, put something over the dirt in the run, put shavings in the coop, and make sure they have plenty of space and ventilation! All openings outside of the run should be covered in hardware cloth. The run should be about 6 feet tall. Only let the flock free range when you are around.

Thats all I can think of right now.

GraceAK and kennyog nailed it good. Security and ventilation are key. I would say to put in at minimum around 2 sq ft of permanent ventilation at top of or above walls. Then do windows on at least two sides for cross-ventilation in summertime. Use deep litter method over a linoleum-topped OSB floor. Do not underestimate predators. Design and build to eliminate even the tiniest flaws because weasels are sure-fire chicken killers and can get in the tiniest openings imaginable. Do a coop lockdown every eve in case outer perimeter fails for some reason. Do not trust chicken wire for anything but keeping chickens in. Most preds can rip it apart. I have not lost one yet following these practices.
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
thanks! this is my first time having chickens but my friend has chickens and I'm over at her house 24\\7 so i know a lot about them.

Yes You are

Quote:
If everyone sets out live traps all the times, pretty soon we're gonna end up with smart raccoons that walk right past the traps and head for the coops. Anyone else ever worry about this? I mean I have a live trap set too but its just something that comes to mind.

Coons are already pretty smart. The biggest problem is when people catch one and are stupid enough to "relocate" (meaning dump off their problem on someone else). Then, if this particula coon lives long enough to have babies, she will teach them to avoid traps. This is another good reason to not relocate trapped predators.

Back
Top Bottom