Would a rooster be happier free range (w/ roosters) or own coop?

ForTheLoveOfSilkies

Free Ranging
Aug 18, 2019
Australia
Would a rooster be happier in a flock free ranging (in flock of hens plus other roosters) or would he be happier in a coop with small run with just a hen or 2?

I ask this because I'm thinking to 'retire' an older rooster (2 years old) and would like to know if he's better off staying in his usual free ranging flock but would have to fight for a place amongst other roosters or if he would be happier / better off in his own coop with a hen or 2 for company? - But the coop would only have a small grassy run/ no free ranging.
He is a nice rooster but not giving me many fertile eggs anymore (no idea why). I know he would be happy with just 1 or 2 hens, he's very placid and does not overmate.

Would a rooster be happier in a flock free ranging (in flock of hens plus other roosters) or would he be happier in a coop with small run with just a hen or 2?

I ask this because I'm thinking to 'retire' an older rooster (2 years old) and would like to know if he's better off staying in his usual free ranging flock but would have to fight for a place amongst other roosters or if he would be happier / better off in his own coop with a hen or 2 for company? - But the coop would only have a small grassy run/ no free ranging.
He is a nice rooster but not giving me many fertile eggs anymore (no idea why). I know he would be happy with just 1 or 2 hens, he's very placid and does not overmate.
Would he be likely to overmate 2 hens? How severe has the fighting been?

Would he be likely to overmate 2 hens? How severe has the fighting been?
No he wouldn't overmate 2 hens.. He is often with only 2 hens while the others are broody or raising chicks.
The other rooster (1 year old) is separate at the moment but only by a fence, they are often trying to fight through the fence so that isn't too positive for them to get along. I would expect fighting if I took the fence away, how severe I don't know. They were together (the younger one was raised from hatch) but then started overmating so he had to be separated.

No he wouldn't overmate 2 hens.. He is often with only 2 hens while the others are broody or raising chicks.
The other rooster (1 year old) is separate at the moment but only by a fence, they are often trying to fight through the fence so that isn't too positive for them to get along. I would expect fighting if I took the fence away, how severe I don't know. They were together (the younger one was raised from hatch) but then started overmating so he had to be separated.
Is the younger one with hens?

Back
Top Bottom