would this make.me a bad person?

That is what happene to us!! We wanted three one drake and two or three hens. Well only two hatched. So frustrating. I am looking at getting anaconas I love there look!

Are anconas for sure look cool, but are Muscovy is so funny! I love her tail wags. But all three of them are great :)

I think its fun to see what hatches when you let them breed with whoever they want to. I have found that black is def the dominate gene color since that is what I ended up with the most of. My females were pekin, black swedish, rouen and muscovy. The drakes were cayuga and blue swedish. 90% are black. I also had a clutch that turned out 1 female and 6 males, all black with bits of white. I kept one of the drakes because he has a strange birth defect (altho I did not notice it when it first hatched, 2 weeks later it showed up). He has a very crooked face, deformed beak, and a slightly twisted neck. His colors are beautiful, black irridecent, white on the chest, and blue and white feathers at the end of his wings. I really need to try and get a good picture of him. He is very smart and has a huge appetite. I also had a muscovy mule that was very handsome. I had to find him and 6 other drakes a new home though.

This is the muscovy mule.

A few of the mixed flock.

Yeah, I don't really understand the tabboo when it comes to mutt ducks. I'm not sure if they're like dog breeds where mixing up the bloodlines can actually produce healthier birds or not, but I do love some of the surprising colors you can get through crossbreeding!

The only one I think may be infertile is the rouen/muscovy mix, since the species are so different. I'm not sure, though.

If you lack enough females though that isn't good for the ducks regardless of the breeds. I do understand the concern but unless your going into full hog to breed and preserve(which sounds like your not interested) i see no reason to do anything other than look at expanding the flock using other breeds. I have some buff orpington ducks they are not common pretty sure their heritage but i don't even own any drakes of the breed, i chose the bird because they seemed nice and i could get them sexed to up my female ratios.

My main flock is Muscovy, Buff and Pekin. They all free range together.

It is good to spend some time on these thoughts.
I think that producing hybrids is not a problem as long as one does not try to sell them as pure-bred ducks or cross them with pure bred ducks and trick people who actually want to get into line breeding. I have among other breeds a couple of Pekins. I once got one son from them, and he had a blue skull cap, shoulders and back. Appearently, whoever had sold them as Pekin ducks had crossed them with some other breed beforehand.

Back
Top Bottom