Would you allow your daughter to join the Navy?

Navy wife here... and I grew up in Norfolk (largest naval base). Also, I have been in ROTC in college within the last 5 years... both Air Force and Army.

NROTC (or any ROTC) can be JUST an elective if you choose. Then in her 2nd year of NROTC she can decide to take it futher and sign a contract. Advise her to get financial aid for

the frst two years. She will thank you dearly later because she can play in the ROTCs and decide on what branch she likes better and what they have to offer her!

I am going to say something totally un- P.C. and I make NO apologies : WOMEN DO NOT BELONG IN THE NAVY.... sorry... there are two types of women that serve the Navy:

1) Well put together, know exactly who they are, have a moral structure, and endure all kinds of garbage at work- yet press on~
2) Have no value system, give women a bad reputation by promoting the "wrong way", and feel as though they need to curse constantly to fit in with the men.(majority)

The women are very catty with each other.... this is in all branches of the military.

I would suggest to her to find a college that has a AFROTC. They have higher expectations for behavior and a better system all together. There are more bases to choose from

which happen to be nicer than other branches. Plus, the uniforms are cute... VERY IMPORTANT! This might have changed.... but AF field training is shorter than other branches.

WHY I WOULD NEVER JOIN THE NAVY:

Respect is hard to get... and I am old fashioned... I dont like hearing curse words every 20 seconds. The narrow stair wells make me nervous. I believe the navy is more about

being cut throat than a team. I have heard the horror stories. And know many people in the Navy. It seems several people recently, including a captian of a ship have been

relieved for doing unspeakable things to women. Which seems to be a common theme lately. I would never want to feel stranded in the middle of the ocean with people like

that surrounding me. I have a great respect for the women out there that serve. And I feel sorry for the good girls that find themselves in the Navy... Always shop around

before you sign a contract. And have EVERYTHING they promise IN WRITING. Meaning, her RATE (JOB) before signing... BONUSES... what she will advance to... and schools she

will have to attend.

And make her watch CARRIER ... or go rent it at Blockbuster or netflix. Its a real documentery on an aircraft carrier- its about as close as it comes.

Going to stick my 2 cents in here. I've read the thread and I think those who posted might do the OP and her daughter a service by saying whether they or the people they know were officers or enlisted. There IS a difference. There are a lot of annecdotes of joining the military straight out of high school and hating it, getting sent to Iraq, no education, etc. Going straight into the military from high school means you get to be a sailor, airman, private, etc. Those individuals have a LOT less say in where they are going and if you want to get educated they may educated you in what they NEED not what you want. That's just the way it is. Those who join via an academy or ROTC have had a lot of money spent on them, especially if they get a scholarship. There are many in ROTC who do NOT get scholarships so you still pay for college yourself but often they do help with books, etc. Once you get the scholarship you do owe the military a number of years of service, without a scholarship it's a heck of a lot easier to drop out of ROTC. If you stay in without a scholarship you are generally, guaranteed a job.

Graduating college through the ROTC makes you a 2nd Lieutenant in the AF ans Army or an Ensign in the Navy. I think it was Seismic WOnder2 who talked about navy personnel washing dishes, cleaning crappers, etc. Those are NOT officer jobs. Those jobs are for enlisted unless something has changed in the 20 years since I've been out of the service. ROTC graduates go into management jobs, you might supervise those doing laundry but you aren't doing it yourself.

My own experience, I joined AFROTC during my freshman year in an engineering college. I earned a scholarship, but that wasn't easy, I took a test and there were 38 people ahead of me who turned it down and allowed me to get the 3.5 year scholarship and I was no slouch in school. I served 4 years at Los Angeles AFS in the early 80s. I was a reserve officer, I was selected for Captain but did not get regular, there was a disguised RIF at the time (reduction in force) and it was the AF's way of getting excess officers off the payroll. When I left the service I had no trouble getting a job in southern CA because at the time ex-officers in the engineering disciplines were a hot commodity.

Another point. Does your daughter know what college she is interested in? I never spoke to a recruiter, I went directly to the ROTC office on campus and talked with an Army officer. AROTC was at my chosen school, the AF and Navy ROTC were at another college across town. I took a bus across town to attend military functions. I'm really not sure how a recruiter can assist with ROTC. I've heard bad things about some recruiters. I'd go straight to the campus office myself.

To answer the OP's opening question.

Right about now not only would I let her join, I would pack her bags and drive her. Unfortunately they don't take 16 year olds.
lol.png

I can help but bite my lip thinking about it. My 17 year old want to join the military. i support our soldiers out there risking thier lives. i pray all the time that they come home safe and sound to thier families arms. i also hope they come home with as little psychological, emotional, physical, and mental damage as possible. i have see the return of broken children... left as babies just 18 came back not as grown men and women but as lost souls suffering from PTSD and other problems. These issues are real and impact families on a grand scale. I mourn for thier loss. I support them and am going to school to become a psychologist so that i can help them when they return. . i do not support sending our children out there to come back as shattered. I am not anti military i am pro soldier. Please no one jump down my throat. i support all you have said about the military and what it can offer. All i am saying is that it is important to look at all it offers, the good and the bad. it may build charactor but sometimes it leaves scars. Those scars do not always heal. Just weigh the options with her. i had my children very young too. we are very close. if it were me and my child (which it is) we would research it together. As a Graduate student i have funded my education and raised 5 children. if i can do it she can. if she wants to join then research the good and the bad. talk to vetrens with positive stories and those with negative. Then when she decides you will know she has done her homework and really wants it. it is what we do as a parent... look out for her best intrest! make sure she has all the information before she decides. if she has as good a head o her shoulders as everyone says... she will want to do her due diligence. After much research and time we found he can not go ayway becasue he has flat feet. i must say i am relieved. Good luck. your right to worry and allow is a fine term dont get hung up on that. she is your child. you would be crazy to not to do your homework... it isnt a new car it is your childs life. i have also heard horror stories about women in the Navy and really good stories. to me the risk is too high. for those that is ist that is fie. this is my truth not everyones and i am simply speaking my opinion. i speak for no one but me, and my experiences..just like everyone else.

and NO to answer your question after all i have seen and experienced and heard...my daughter or any other of my children will join the military over my dead body! i do not care how old they are! I could not believe he stuff i found out doing research with our 17 year old. we were all just stunned. it is the reason i am becoming a psychologist. i changed my career path becasue of this very question. that is my answer to your question pure and simple. you do what you feel is best either way.... what is right for oe is not always right for another. the two of you will find your answer this is just mine. good luck to you and her.

While I was Army and because of the ties I have to that, I of course would suggest it. But the reality of it is, that for the best branch of service and lowest chance of being in harms way - Air Force is the way to go. You will NOT find a better quality of life in ANY branch, better than the AF. From food to living quarters to peer relationships............it's the way to go. All branches offer the same carrot = Tuition.

One of the last lessons you can giver before she heads off on her own, is to learn how to investigate options and make an educated decision based on facts, not recruitment posters and sales pitches. Have her think hard about what she is looking for, and then dig hard regarding what each branch offers. Visit MORE THAN ONE recruiter, for each branch. Some will lie, some will tell you what you want to hear, some will withhold info if you dont ask for it. In a short time she will have a good feel for what each offers AND she will have learned a new skill about "reading " people. Do not be concerned about being "locked in". You are NEVER locked in until you actually get on the bus/plane to go to your basic training station. Up until THAT moment and you are sworn in for the last time, you are free to leave and/or change options. They will scare you into thinking that you cant, youll be arrested etc. This just confirms that their one of the "liars" and will do whatever they can to keep their numbers up.

There is also the Guard. Same tuition waiver, advancement is a little easier, you can usually get a Gov't job in the local system full time and carry the SAME benefits of active duty. (housing allowance, food allowance, medical etc.) Plus you get to come home each day. If deploying is a "deal breaker" for her, the Guard is a bit easier. There are many jobs in the system that "dont deploy". She just needs to research, according to branch.

I can offer advice form the inside as ARMY only, but all branches have "mission critical" positions that "stay home". PM me if I can help............

Well here is a story but take it for what it is worth. For the most part this story has more to do with the character of the individual than the armed forces or any other factor. inf act all other factors combined. I have a nephew that enlisted in the Army at the age of 18. The OP's daughter sounds a lot like he was then. a good kid maybe a little lost at what to do with his future. Wanting an education and no one to turn to to pay for it but himself. Not willing to accept just getting by as a solution and dead end jobs for his future. He saw the Army as an answer. He serves 4 years active duty and then 3 additional years reserve based here at home. When he returned from active duty he enrolled in the police academy. His military experience gave him the confidence to become a police officer and his service paid for it. Upon completion of the Academy he got a series of jobs in various small towns within two hours of home. basic entry level stuff but it did put Chief of Police in his resume with less than two years of work experience. He re upped in the Reserves for I think an additional 4 years and continued on his career as a police man.eventually working for our local University where he served on a city special forces unit making many many drug and prostitution arrests. enrolled at the University to study Business management. Has gotten married and now has two children. He also now works for the Reno Police. For a time he left the Army but a couple of years ago decided to re-enlist with the Guard. I point out that this is a man well along in his chosen career path that still chooses to serve his country. I also want to point out that the Army navy Air force and Marines are for Soldiers. there really are Soldiers out there. they are not for people looking for an easy answer and that will whine every time something is not how they expect it to be. it is also not for people that tend to ask why. like they say. it is not for a soldier to ask why., it is theirs to do or die. back to the story. That same Nephew just returned from his first year long deployment to Kuwait serving missions into Iraq. He is now a Captain and a commander of a supply unit. Serving in Iraq cost him and his family $50,000 in reduced income alone. He earned a bronze star while there. You do not earn Bronze stars by being a disgruntled employee. While in Irag he continued his University studies via the Internet and is one semester from earning his degree. He does not whine he does not cry, he is not all hung up on weather it is fair or unfair. He cries when he leaves his wife and children at the airport, and he is afraid of being killed. But despite all that he stands straight, holds his head high, squares his shoulder and snaps to attention. He is an American soldier and he may be afraid. But there is not a shadow of a doubt he would die doing his duty. If it is ever to come to that. I have already accepted that he did so with Pride, honor and with free will. It is his choice, it is his character and it is his strength. It is mine to be grateful and proud. It may be mine to morn one day. But I will always honor his character. He is a man I am very proud of. not because he has always succeeded. but he has lived with his choices and never blamed others for the difficulty they have caused.

Just one more note to help...

AFROTC is very competitive... and they give scholarships to MAJOR specific students.

Example: I was a biology major attending the UMD AFROTC unit, I was told that I would be considered for scholarship if my major was a enviromental science... they told me this

information mid semester after saying biology is fine! I had to then re-think my degree plans... and consider a dual major. TIP: The Air Force right now is soaking up computer

science majors for scholarship.

All NROTC students I believe are required to take physics based calc. or something like that. No matter what major or type of officer you become. That is something to consider if

you hate math.

I think Army ROTC was fun as far as activity( I like playing outside).... but it lacked professionalism... and organization. Plus, I have never seen a bigger group of tools in one

class. I felt bad for the enlisted who got stuck with some of them,LOL)

She needs to think about what she is going to do for them. My interest was aviation. I fly fixed wings for hobby. I would have majored in underwater basket weaving if they

asked. Having certain background will be considered in her package for comissionment board. Get her to volunteer doing job related things. She will also have to take a test

kinda like the SAT to be considered. The best time to take it is when she is taking the SAT- so it will all be fresh in her mind.

Quote:
Sounds like someone I'd be proud to know. As a mom I'd just want to make sure that the choice was made with all the cards on the table. Even with No work experience, No real world experience, I figure they've had 12 years of school already, they should know how to research a project before the final report (contract) is drawn up. And, if they need help in finding that information then I'll be happy to help, just like I have since kindergarten. That's what Mommies do.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom