Wry neck?

Kaiyafitness

Chirping
Apr 17, 2021
Hi everyone,
I have a 5 month old silkie rooster that started showing symptoms yesterday (24 hours), he was struggling to walk and keep his balance, and his head seemed to Tilt to one side. I caught him and isolated him in another coop (he can still see and hear the flock) and when I picked him up I felt the weight on his neck was pretty heavy leaning to one side and slightly facing up. 24 hours later there has been no progress, he sort of leans his body back but then puts his head down and faces upwards? When I searched this up the results said wry neck and so I was thinking maybe it was caused by head injury if he got into a fight with another rooster? He also looks quite fatigued
Please could someone let me know if this is treatable and how?
Any advice would really be appreciated thank you

Was your silkie cockerel vaccinated for Mareks disease? Wry neck or torticolis, is a neurological sign that can be caused by a vitamin E or B1 thiamine dediciency, head injuries, and is seen in certain infectious diseases. Those can include Mareks, exotic Newcastles seen usually in other countries, and in some respiratory disease and fowl cholera. It is important that he be close to food and water, and may need ro be feed and watered several times a day. Vitamin E 400 IU and a little bit of vitamin B complex for thiamine given with a little scrambled egg could be helpful for a deficiency.

Was your silkie cockerel vaccinated for Mareks disease? Wry neck or torticolis, is a neurological sign that can be caused by a vitamin E or B1 thiamine dediciency, head injuries, and is seen in certain infectious diseases. Those can include Mareks, exotic Newcastles seen usually in other countries, and in some respiratory disease and fowl cholera. It is important that he be close to food and water, and may need ro be feed and watered several times a day. Vitamin E 400 IU and a little bit of vitamin B complex for thiamine given with a little scrambled egg could be helpful for a deficiency.
He is not displaying any symptoms of mareks and the only issue is his neck, when you feel it there is a prominent kink. He is responding really well to drinking water with my help and I added in a polyaid, but he is struggling more with eating larger bits of food. Do you have any tips for that and how long should I expect to see an improvement ? Thank you :)

Oh no, I had a duckling with wry neck arrive at the beginning of the month and he had wry neck. We tried to save him but could not. During my research I read that silkies are more prone to wry neck even after they are fully developed due to their skull being open, is it possible he was injured?

I mentioned Mareks because you had described him as being unbalanced and having a hard time walking. Wry neck can happen separately as a symptom of head injury or vitamin deficiency, but if other symptoms are present, Mareks could be considered. Hopefully, it is just wry neck. Here is a good video of feeding a silkie with wry neck:

I mentioned Mareks because you had described him as being unbalanced and having a hard time walking. Wry neck can happen separately as a symptom of head injury or vitamin deficiency, but if other symptoms are present, Mareks could be considered. Hopefully, it is just wry neck. Here is a good video of feeding a silkie with wry neck:
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom