Wyoming Unite!!!!

Pics
I agree! Bought my incubator last year and hatched my first chicks. It's very stressful but lots of fun! Teaches patience! I have eggs in it now, and a few under broody hens that should hatch tomorrow for Easter. Fingers crossed!

Well I am now the proud Mama of one Gold laced Wyn, one Buff Orp and one Giant Black Cochin. I am also suragate mothering a Plymouth and Columbian Wyn for a co-worker until they are ready to coop. My three year old is head over heels and filled with questions. When asked about Mama Chicken we replyed with the story of Mama is on an adventure and asked us to help raise her babies.
Anyone have that, Omg I just bought chickens moment?

An OMG moment............

Yesterday I bought 24 chicks when I already had 29 chicks here under 2 weeks old. And to top it off, I filled the incubator with 34 chicken eggs and 6 turkey eggs!

idunno.gif
jumpy.gif
I just can't resist!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Hubby and I noticed my little gold laced is just not growing bigger, not socializing and someone in the brooder has DH...talked with my vet today, luckily I work in an a vet office. She said it's possible Coccidiosis. :'( Hunting down Corid now hoping little baby will make it by the time I get off of work and home with medicine. **** the luck, she is by far my sweetest baby.

Lucky Lucy made it through due to attentive Mom and Dad and treatment started soon before I think most people even notice there is something wrong. She is about a week behind in growth but she'll make it.
All Cheyenne folks can rest assured, chicken ordinance was passed and we are allowed five hens in city. Yippie!!! Hope all have enjoyed our first look at spring. Back to Spinter for us in Cheyenne.

I would really like to get my hands on some Cream Legbar eggs. This first hatch with shipped eggs turned out to be a disaster. They were all delayed in shipping, had horrible, floating air cells, and all I ended up with was 1 Olive Egger and 1 Cream Legbar cockerel. I plan to keep him, but I would dearly love to be able to pick some up and bring them home without the shipping if possible. None of the Swedish Flower Hens hatched, either. Disappointed doesn't even begin to cover it.

Cream Legbar chick, Sweet Pea - (I know, I know...it's not exactly like naming him Hercules....

Yokel, the Olive Egger. He/she is named for @LocalYokel, who gifted me with the eggs.

I would really like to get my hands on some Cream Legbar eggs. This first hatch with shipped eggs turned out to be a disaster. They were all delayed in shipping, had horrible, floating air cells, and all I ended up with was 1 Olive Egger and 1 Cream Legbar cockerel. I plan to keep him, but I would dearly love to be able to pick some up and bring them home without the shipping if possible. None of the Swedish Flower Hens hatched, either. Disappointed doesn't even begin to cover it.

Cream Legbar chick, Sweet Pea - (I know, I know...it's not exactly like naming him Hercules....

Yokel, the Olive Egger. He/she is named for @LocalYokel, who gifted me with the eggs.
Hi @Blooie

I could very possibly be wrong but your photo does not look like any Cream Legbar chick that I have seen or any that I have seen pics of.

I found out the hard way that it is far cheaper to pay the high prices that GFF wants for their chicks than it is to waste money on shipped hatching eggs. I believe that the the current lines of imported Cream Legbar and SFHs are too inbred which makes hatching eggs even iffier.

@WyoChickenMamma who lives or lived out the road from me has/had a large flock of Cream Legbars. Unfortunately it appears that the last time she was on BYC was 6/24/2014. The last time that I PMed her, I did not get a response.

There are at least two eBay sellers in Utah that are selling Cream Legbar eggs on eBay. Perhaps you could contact them and see if you could pick the eggs up in person rather than having them shipped. You should get a much better hatch rate from eggs that you personally transferred than any the USPS gets their hands on.

I believe that the woman that I sold my last SFH chicks to had some advertised for sale on craigslist this spring. She was asking $5 each for the chicks. I did not see her advertise anymore since then. Perhaps if you put an ad on craigslist she might respond.

Personally as pretty as I found the SFHs, my experience was not very satisfying in that the hens were not good layers (definitely not near the advertised rates) and the fertility wasn't that great either.

I only have one Cream Legbar rooster and have really not been impressed with trying to hatch shipped eggs. I have however been very impressed with the hybrid Sapphires. Sapphires are created by breeding White Leghorn hens with a Cream Legbar rooster. They for the most part are a white chicken with black spots and may or may not have a crest. The adult Sapphire hens lay a light blue egg that is large to extra large and they lay almost as frequently as the White Leghorns.

Good luck.

Thank you for all the information, my friend! I dunno if he looks much like a Cream Legbar or not, never having seen a CL chick before. I really do like the looks of the adults, though. All I could go by was what was marked on the eggs from MPC. I didn't buy the eggs...they were won in a contest here on BYC by @LocalYokel, who then gifted them to me after my heart attack and stent, and didn't select the eggs individually but rather by "assortment". Boy, you ain't kidding about the dismal hatching results from shipped eggs - especially when they took an extra few days to get here. Would have been faster to have you pick them for me up at the Casper sorting center and then drive down to Casper myself!
barnie.gif
What a serious mistake it was to try shipped eggs as a first time attempt at incubating. I know some get incubation addiction...I don't think I'm cut out for it. I'd rather just hatch a few here and there to keep rotating my older birds out and newer ones in.

As for egg production, that's not that big a deal for me. If whatever I have lays decently, that's plenty good enough, since I have no plans to try breeding anyway. I get more than enough to satisfy the family and sell enough to regular customers to pay for the feed....most months....and that makes me happy. I'm content to have a nice little flock of backyard chickens with a few different kinds and I like it that way - no pressure. Um, I don't did pressure good!
lau.gif

Thank you for all the information, my friend! I dunno if he looks much like a Cream Legbar or not, never having seen a CL chick before. I really do like the looks of the adults, though. All I could go by was what was marked on the eggs from MPC. I didn't buy the eggs...they were won in a contest here on BYC by @LocalYokel, who then gifted them to me after my heart attack and stent, and didn't select the eggs individually but rather by "assortment". Boy, you ain't kidding about the dismal hatching results from shipped eggs - especially when they took an extra few days to get here. Would have been faster to have you pick them for me up at the Casper sorting center and then drive down to Casper myself!
barnie.gif
What a serious mistake it was to try shipped eggs as a first time attempt at incubating. I know some get incubation addiction...I don't think I'm cut out for it. I'd rather just hatch a few here and there to keep rotating my older birds out and newer ones in.

As for egg production, that's not that big a deal for me. If whatever I have lays decently, that's plenty good enough, since I have no plans to try breeding anyway. I get more than enough to satisfy the family and sell enough to regular customers to pay for the feed....most months....and that makes me happy. I'm content to have a nice little flock of backyard chickens with a few different kinds and I like it that way - no pressure. Um, I don't did pressure good!
lau.gif
Sorry about your heart attack. Hope you are doing better now.

Egg production may not seem like a big thing until you get some hens eating all of the time and laying less than 50 eggs a year which is what I got from a couple of my SFH hens.

The White Leghorn hens that I am using to make Sapphires are currently averaging an egg a day and averaged approximately 13 eggs for every 14 days throughout last winter. I do not provide them with supplemental light.

I have a hatch of turkeys and more chicks due Monday the 25th. As a incubating addict I am not nearly as bad as @redhorseranch

At least she normally hatches smaller batches than I do but that is only because she has not graduated to a cabinet incubator yet.

I don't charge visitors and don't force anyone to buy any of my chicks so feel free to stop in for a visit when you pass through town.

Back
Top Bottom