Wyoming Unite!!!!

Great that it hatched! :thumbsup

But is that what you were hoping for? :idunno

I have 4 roosters to put in the freezer tomorrow :(
At least i don't have to wait 6 weeks to know that it is a cockerel. For now it will go in the brooder with the poults until they find a new home.

I never put roosters in the freezer. I process them when it is time for them to get a dinner invite and then they get to cool their heels in the refrigerator until invited for a meal.

How many days did you say it takes for the rigor mortise to go away? The last one I cooked was really tough. It was 9 months old tho. Thinking about keeping them in ice water for a few days before freezing.

How many days did you say it takes for the rigor mortis to go away? The last one I cooked was really tough. It was 9 months old tho. Thinking about keeping them in ice water for a few days before freezing.
I typically soak mine in salt water for 8 hours before refrigerating them. For a rooster size carcass, one day should be plenty but I usually refrigerate them for two to three days before cooking. I have seen it recommended to do the "aging" process before freezing carcasses for more tender meat. There is a lot of information available in the Meat Birds ETC forum.

Anyone coming to the Exotic Sale in New Salem this weekend? I am going to try and have someone take a pair of Icelandics and Swedish Flower Hens for me

Today's visitor.
full

full

full

full

full

full

When I first saw her she was in the driveway. Then she flew over the house and down into the field. She then went into the neighbor's field. When I came back out to move the water, the Sweetgrass tom was showing off for her.

Seems like everything but the Russian Olives are blooming. I have 6 different kinds of cherries blooming, Carmine Jewel Dwarf Cherry, Evans Bali Cherries, Garfield Plantation Cherry, Nanking Cherries and Sand Cherry. The Chokecherries aren't quite blooming yet or there would 8 kinds blooming.
Carmine Jewel Dwarf Cherry
full

Evans Bali Cherry
full

Garfield Plantation Cherry
full

Meteor Cherry
full

Sand Cherry
full

Looks like I may need a lot of bird netting this year to protect the cherries.

Back
Top Bottom