year old hen lethargic just lays on her side won't eat or drink

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by grammapattx, Oct 18, 2016.

1. grammapattx

grammapattx New Egg

Oct 18, 2016
    My Rhode Island Red Hen was found yesterday laying on her side away from the other hens. She won't stand,. eat or drink unles I force her. I have her in a pen inside the garage and I have just soaked her in case she is egg bound. Her crop feels really full and hard. I have just started giving them corn in the afternoon which I do all winter long. I mixed some of her food with calcium tablet crushed up and a little water to make a mash, even added some scrambled egg and she just isn't interested.

Any Ideas as to what I am dealing with?

2. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Any foul odor from her beak? Nasal discharge or rattling in her chest? Bubbly eyes?

As far as the crop goes, pull food and water from her for the night and check her crop in the morning, it should be empty or close to it. If its still full she has impacted crop.

3. MelonHeadSeb

MelonHeadSeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2014
    If her crop feels really full and hard my first guess would be impacted crop

4. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi, welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Egg bound or impacted crop would also be my first guesses. When you soaked her, did you do a physical check for egg binding? Is she pooping and what does it look like?

Best wishes!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by