Yes - Mystery TSC Ducklings! Breed Guesses?

Pics

FoodFreedomNow

Free Ranging
7 Years
Aug 11, 2016
Everywhere, all at once
I've read many (and there are many) threads about the "assorted duck" bin at TSC and have my own guesses about what breeds my ten new ducklings are, but would love to hear from others - my personal experience with ducks is limited to Muscovy, Pekin, and Runner.

I think I see Pekins and possibly a Blue Swedish (just a blue head showing below, but coloration is different from the four other darker ducklings).

B760198F-AC47-43F2-98EF-4E77E6C5ED63.jpeg

It's the ducklings with the muted Mallard/Rouen-type markings that really have me puzzled...maybe Golden 300s? They have black or partly-black feet.

C58A5573-0298-45D3-B5E0-40D87164C293.jpeg

Regardless, I'm hoping there are at least a few girls in there so I can enjoy some fabulous duck eggs in the future (and hatch some cute mixed babies!).

I've read many (and there are many) threads about the "assorted duck" bin at TSC and have my own guesses about what breeds my ten new ducklings are, but would love to hear from others - my personal experience with ducks is limited to Muscovy, Pekin, and Runner.

I think I see Pekins and possibly a Blue Swedish (just a blue head showing below, but coloration is different from the four other darker ducklings).

View attachment 1689803

It's the ducklings with the muted Mallard/Rouen-type markings that really have me puzzled...maybe Golden 300s? They have black or partly-black feet.

View attachment 1689797

Regardless, I'm hoping there are at least a few girls in there so I can enjoy some fabulous duck eggs in the future (and hatch some cute mixed babies!).

I’m not sure, but my guess is Rouens, Pekins, Khakis? Very, very cute! You will have to post updated pictures as they grow. I also went to TSC today. Their ducklings looked good (unlike their bin of dead and dying Bantam chickens :hit:hit), and I was slightly tempted, but I think I need at least 1 more year with adults before I try keeping day-olds alive!

I’m not sure, but my guess is Rouens, Pekins, Khakis? Very, very cute! You will have to post updated pictures as they grow. I also went to TSC today. Their ducklings looked good, and I was slightly tempted, but I think I need at least 1 more year with adults before I try keeping day-olds alive!
Aw, thanks! And appreciate your feedback. I had originally thought maybe KCs, too, but I wonder if KC ducklings should be a bit darker and more solidly-colored..? They're fascinating creatures - already getting more comfy and not running away as much. I think your approach is entirely reasonable...but they're really not so difficult to keep alive! Will definitely post updates - can't wait to see how they grow out.

View attachment 1689803

View attachment 1689797

Pekin, Rouen and Appleyard

:(:(:(
I’m not sure, but my guess is Rouens, Pekins, Khakis? Very, very cute! You will have to post updated pictures as they grow. I also went to TSC today. Their ducklings looked good (unlike their bin of dead and dying Bantam chickens :hit:hit), and I was slightly tempted, but I think I need at least 1 more year with adults before I try keeping day-olds alive!
How did I miss the part about the bantams?? Oh, no!! I'd be upset seeing that, too! :mad: Sometimes those employees are just clueless...and I blame their management. They're lucky I don't work there...I don't tolerate half-baked performance.

Back
Top Bottom