YO GEORGIANS! :)

Hey, an Internet question for your folks who live in rural areas. Although we sleep at the new house we just moved into, we have yet to set up Internet there. We haven't sold our old house yet, so that's where I'm using the Internet now.

The question I have concerns areas where only satellite is available. I know that latency (lag) is an issue since the signal has to bounce off of a satellite before coming back to Earth. We're considering going with Hughsnet. Does anyone use Internet service from this company, and if so, what is your experience and/or recommendation?

We have Xfinity Blast (75 mbps) at the old house, and I know we won't be able to match that speed or even the price per month, but my concern is doing synchronous communication such as teleconferencing with Hughsnet or any other satellite Internet service.

Anyway, if anyone with experience can add their 2¢, it would be appreciated!
Where we lived before we used I think it was Hughsnet or one like it and I was happy with it, it got a little pricey cause we had to have direct TV, then the land line and internet were separate. I don't remember speed issues and I skyed to England and it was just fine.

but my concern is doing synchronous communication such as teleconferencing with Hughsnet or any other satellite Internet service.

May be a pain in the rear as far as timeliness or whatnot, but it may make a slower service doable...... maybe you could check to see if the new area has a public library and if they have high speed internet. They may have a private room where you could do your teleconferencing if it was something that you could "schedule" and not need spur of the moment if you know what I mean. May not make your available internet any more palatable, but at least you'd have some kind of access in an emergency or if you just absolutely had to get something done. Either that or if wifi is fast enough to do what you want, invest in a decent laptop and try to find a restaurant or business in the area running a secure wifi spot or maybe not even secure if you don't need it to be. Not sure how "hackable" what you're doing is, but that may be an option as well. We'll probably have the same problem when we move to our "dream location", but since our spot is located just outside the city limits, I'm hoping whatever broadband they have available will be available to us. If not, it's not a deal breaker, we'll make do somehow. :)

We only have satellite available here. Hughsnet was expensive and slow. We use Excede now. Still expensive compared to cable, but better than hughsnet.

Thanks! You've been a big help! I'm going to look into Excede since it is available in our area. Did you have to buy a satellite dish, converter box, and pay for installation? Also, do they make you sign a contract? I big drawback with Hughsnet is that they want us to sign a two-year contract, plus buy all the equipment and pay for set up. I went to Exede's website, and they didn't mention these extra costs or the use of service contracts. They are a little pricey, but if they provide reliable service, then perhaps they're worth it.

I bought a 4G wireless router and use Verizon for my internet. Price is not too bad, can't watch videos unless you like writing big checks. Of course, I'm about a mile from the nearest tower and it's a good line of sight.
If you decide to go cellular, do the research and buy your own router. What I discovered was that the one's sold by the cell companies as hot spots were not very reliable.
The cell service at our new house is TERRIBLE. We have Verizon, and can sometimes get service, but it is usually one bar and rarely two bars. None of the other carriers work at all from what I've been told. The other weird thing is that since we live so close to the Alabama border, half the time the time zone on our cell phones switches between Central and Eastern. We thought about using Verizon service since we already have an LTE signal booster, but I have my doubts that it will work too well for us.

We had SkyNet come out, and they couldn't give us any better that 3 mbps, and then the owner of a
small private, local company (HCICOMM.net) came out and said he could get us 7 mbps if we wanted him to build a 40ft tower for $2K. Not happening. Also, AT&T U-Verse only works at 3 mbps here, so that's not an option either

That left us with the satellite service option. The latency (lag) issue is a problem since Christopher has a synchronous Internet class meeting on Monday evenings at 9:00PM. Anyway, what a headache.

Where we lived before we used I think it was Hughsnet or one like it and I was happy with it, it got a little pricey cause we had to have direct TV, then the land line and internet were separate. I don't remember speed issues and I skyed to England and it was just fine.

Thanks. I think we're down to Hughsnet or Exede at this point. I hope one of them will work for us.

May be a pain in the rear as far as timeliness or whatnot, but it may make a slower service doable...... maybe you could check to see if the new area has a public library and if they have high speed internet. They may have a private room where you could do your teleconferencing if it was something that you could "schedule" and not need spur of the moment if you know what I mean. May not make your available internet any more palatable, but at least you'd have some kind of access in an emergency or if you just absolutely had to get something done. Either that or if wifi is fast enough to do what you want, invest in a decent laptop and try to find a restaurant or business in the area running a secure wifi spot or maybe not even secure if you don't need it to be. Not sure how "hackable" what you're doing is, but that may be an option as well. We'll probably have the same problem when we move to our "dream location", but since our spot is located just outside the city limits, I'm hoping whatever broadband they have available will be available to us. If not, it's not a deal breaker, we'll make do somehow. :)

Hi John. There is a library close by, but it closes at 5:00PM and Christopher's class is at 9:00PM. I was told about a local coffee shop that has high-speed WIFI, so that may be an option; however, it seems that everything in this small town shuts down at 9:00PM, except for the Waffle House. lol Thanks for the reply.

Thanks! You've been a big help! I'm going to look into Excede since it is available in our area. Did you have to buy a satellite dish, converter box, and pay for installation? Also, do they make you sign a contract? I big drawback with Hughsnet is that they want us to sign a two-year contract, plus buy all the equipment and pay for set up. I went to Exede's website, and they didn't mention these extra costs or the use of service contracts. They are a little pricey, but if they provide reliable service, then perhaps they're worth it.

Converter box is a monthly rental. Satellite dish is part of the installation so you send back the receiver when you're done. Stephen says there's always deals so you don't have to pay for installation. Yes, you have to sign a two year contract. He says they are all that way.

If anyone knows florida evacuation people who need horse, dog, cat, maybe other animal boarding, the SAFE center at my school, FVSU, is open for it. They have to call and be up to date on coggins: (478)825-6424 Feel free to pass it on, although they only have so much space.

My daughter lives in Port Orange on the East Coast. They just built a new beach home in Melbourne, FL. She is planning to evacuate if it heads their way. They are stocked with tons of food and water and gas. Keep your fingers crossed for them!

Visited Missy today, and I have to say that I'm VERY impressed how the blind Buff Orp pullet and the lame Welsummer pullet have thrived. The blind girl is plumper and walking around just fine, and the lame Welsummer girl is walking even better than when we left her with Missy. They are both happier than clams. Lisa and I were thrilled to see their progress! :love

Thanks...we sure love them.

RIP
My best friend passed away today.

Dusty.jpg

Back
Top Bottom