YO GEORGIANS! :)

Well yesterday's weather was a rough one....Looks mixed clouds and cooler, Hope to wash about 10 tubs of waiting laundry and hang today....We don't like to increase our utilities even in the winter...Those of you that know me well, know I have a clothes line in my living room... Save those pennies for more eggies and chickies~! Praying you will have a wonderful day. Nancy

Quote:
Not according to http://www.foodscience.caes.uga.edu...RequirementsforLicensingaSmallEggProducer.pdf .

If you sell less than 30 dozen eggs (!) at a time from less than 3000 hens (!!), you don't have to have a licensed egg processing facility or have a food sales establishment license, but "All eggs offered for sale must be graded by a certified grader" and "The eggs must be candled by a certified candler".

Have you seen conflicting information somewhere else? Sadly mine aren't laying enough that selling any is an option, we eat them all!

-Wendy

Wendy this is correct information .....whether sold from home or outside of home.

Not trying to be argumentative, but I called Connie Little from the Dep of Agg about the selling of eggs and chickens. She said that selling from your own property does not require a license (as long as you are not a commercial industry). Selling off-site does.

Here is a helpful link from UGA Cooperative Extension : http://www.poultry.uga.edu/extension/tips/documents/0908BYtipCRweb.pdf

BACKYARD FLOCK TIP . . .
MARKETING EGGS FROM THE BACKYARD FLOCK
For many people, having a backyard egg laying flock is enjoyable simply from the satisfaction of
raising a few birds and providing a few eggs for the table. Often backyard flocks begin as a child’s
4-H project, teaching the child basic needs and responsibility on how to care for animals. Caring
for and learning animal husbandry skills are important aspects of the project and the benefit of fresh
eggs for the family is also a plus.

While most individuals do not eat fresh eggs everyday, a laying hen will produce an egg nearly
everyday, often producing more than the family can reasonably consume. As often happens, the 4-H
egg project expands to more production than can be consumed by the family, leading naturally to
the thought that perhaps the extra eggs could be sold.

If you want to sell your excess eggs, a few factors need to be considered.

1. Eggs sold at the farm for direct-to-consumer marketing typically are not produced or sold under
a license nor are the eggs inspected and therefore fall under the “buyer beware” category. This is
not to say that the farm-fresh eggs are bad or less wholesome, it’s that they just haven’t gone through
the cleaning and inspection process as those found within retail markets. Producers who sell eggs
on their own farm are exempt from state and federal inspection and candling laws. However, from
a food safety and buyer confidence standpoint, following the candling, grading, and cold storage
practices that are required for retail egg sales is also recommended for farm-sold eggs.

2. In order to sell eggs through a farmers’ market or flea market, one must first apply for and obtain
a license from the Georgia Department of Agriculture and must follow posted “local operating rules”
for the market. The eggs must also have been candled by someone who is officially licensed as an
egg candler as provided by the Georgia Department of Agriculture. Egg candling training can be
obtained from the Georgia Department of Agriculture. Contact the district office nearest you to
schedule a training opportunity.

3. Some 4-Hers may think they have an opportunity to sell their eggs to a local country store.
However, eggs cannot be sold to or from any store that sells to the public unless the eggs and the
facility from which they were processed meet state and federal inspection standards and the seller
has a Georgia Department of Agriculture permit to do so. Roadside markets located on state or
federal highways that cater to transient rather than neighborhood trade also fall under this inspection
requirement.

With the many people who enjoy and appreciate the taste of farm-fresh eggs, 4Hers and others with
backyard egg operations may find ample opportunities to market their eggs for fun and profit, when
done so within the appropriate guidelines and regulations to ensure consumer safety and product
wholesomeness.

Information regarding the State of Georgia laws and supporting regulations regarding eggs and
poultry processing can be found at the Georgia Department of Agriculture website:
http://agr.georgia.gov/00/article/0,2086,38902732_0_40971469,00.html

A handbook about shell eggs, candling and grading criteria is available on the United States
Department of Agriculture (USDA) Agricultural Marketing Service (AMS) web site:
http://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/ams...age&description=Poultry and Eggs&acct=poultry

Casey Ritz
Extension Poultry Scientist Extension County Coordinator/Agent

Last edited:
I guess we were instructed in the way wer were because we have a business license as a farm, so then the person talking with me gave me the same requirements for both on and of campus selling which is okay by me since we handle them the same way. It might also be the case of interpretations from several years ago, as we've been selling eggs now for almost 7 years...

I do believe it does help to have the candling license and will open up revenue opportunites if ever you plan to bring eggs to another location to sell - work, farmers market, etc. Sorry if I can confused anyone... since we live in a litigeous (spelling???) world, you might want to date stamp on the carton expiration date, etc. but that's apparently up to you:) Can you tell yet I'm weary from regulations!!!!! So hard to keep up with.... !!! Have a good weekend. I'm back to chores...Nice chatting with y'all. Nancy

Good resources one of seven.....I'll share forward the materials with anyone that asks us!!!!

Last edited:
Anyone hear from or have an update on itsmyobsession???
hmm.png
Would love to get a hold of some of her hatching eggs.

Okay that's what I thought originally, but wanted to be sure. All the talk over on the south Carolina thread made me want to start my search again to find good Doms. I sent you a pm.

Quote:
Last I heard she was getting rid of all her chickens. I actually bought all of her Dominique's from her

Outback, Do you sell Dominique hatching eggs?

As soon as they start back laying on a regular basis I plan on it. Right now I'm down to just 2 hens and 6 pullets that should start laying soon

Back
Top Bottom