Yolk Sac outside of hatching duckling!!!!

Oh dear, that's quite a large sac. :hugs

In the egg is definitely best with that much unabsorbed. If it bursts, it will likely bleed out. You can use about anything to prop it up for more comfort, toilet paper, clean rag, wash cloth, etc.

Amazing that it hatched itself with that much left. :( Pray for the best!

Oh dear, that's quite a large sac. :hugs

In the egg is definitely best with that much unabsorbed. If it bursts, it will likely bleed out. You can use about anything to prop it up for more comfort, toilet paper, clean rag, wash cloth, etc.

Amazing that it hatched itself with that much left. :( Pray for the best!
I hesitated to even do anything once we saw the sac because I remember you guys saying do not touch them or you can kill them. But he came out faster than any of the other eggs. It seriously was like 12 hours and he was half way out ! It's very sad! The other egg is still taking its time!

How do they draw it in? Does it take a long time? :confused:

It sucks up into their abdomen. it's usually what is happening just before the pip, and through the time while they are pipped, waiting to zip. When it is done is usually when they zip and emerge from the shell.
So if it behaves and doesn't struggle to get out of the egg/cup, hopefully it will finish within another 24 hours, would be my guess.

I understand this one did it on its own, but this is a great example as to why to NOT help a duckling too soon. It still has alot going on for those last few hours before coming out.
Just the fact that it emerged on its own gives it a fighting chance. just an anxious little booger.

image.jpg
IMG_2867.JPG
This is this morning when I smelled something horrid. I thought he had passed but they are very much alive! But it looks like this..... so now I have him resting again a little cleaned off in a little dish with a soft sock.

Back
Top Bottom