Yolk Sac Problems - Graphic Pictures

@casportpony I have a 2 week old chick with what I believe is an unabsorbed yolk. I first discovered it a few days ago and had been trying without luck to identify the problem until I finally found this post and another article with dissection photos on a UK site.

The chick has a firm rounded mass filling its lower abdomen. I knew this wasn't normal but couldn't find any info at first. It has been eating, drinking and eliminating but is gradually slowing down, spending more time laying and sitting. The mass is staying the same size and hardness.

I'm wondering if I should put this chick down? I can't see any positive outcome for it. It is basically living with an infection that is either going to kill it or leave it with a compromised immune system. I guess I'm looking for guidance and opinions.

No, not the whole belly just a round hardened area in the lowest abdomen below the vent. It's easy to feel but hard to show although you can see the outline here.
20180819_124139.jpg

284A45AC-DC2A-49F9-94A7-9240FC67A614.jpeg 6A7B3B62-C046-4F95-B83B-68CB201B2C82.jpeg

Is this an infected umbilicus? Is it an unabsorbed yolk? He had splay leg that I fixed, didn’t even think about his umbilicus and brooder bacteria from when he was scooting around before we got him.

Should I cull him? He’s been eat/drinking/pooping... but he’s always under the warmer and is always chirping, even while he sleeps during the day.

View attachment 1803637 View attachment 1803629

Is this an infected umbilicus? Is it an unabsorbed yolk? He had splay leg that I fixed, didn’t even think about his umbilicus and brooder bacteria from when he was scooting around before we got him.

Should I cull him? He’s been eat/drinking/pooping... but he’s always under the warmer and is always chirping, even while he sleeps during the day.
How old is it? What does it's poop look like?

Back
Top Bottom