"You better be careful selling farm eggs, 'they' may get you!!!!!"

When I was in California we just had to put a sticker on the carton saying they needed to be cooked. As for the lady at the vet's office, ask her if the eggs she buys from the store are pasteurized, and how she knows whether they are or not.

lol. I should. I think she was getting raw milk and raw eggs confused like someone else on here said. If someone is dumb enough to eat a raw egg, then that's their problem. But I will make some labels putting some specific things on there like that, that way I have all basis covered.

When I was in California we just had to put a sticker on the carton saying they needed to be cooked. As for the lady at the vet's office, ask her if the eggs she buys from the store are pasteurized, and how she knows whether they are or not.

We got our labels from Nasco. It is a mail order company so you should be able to find it on the internet. The labels are cheap and easy to use. Plus they look official and professional. Be sure to look in their farm supply section. Nasco also has teaching supplies and I don't know what else. If all else fails, call them. They have an 800 number. There is Nasco West out of Modesto, CA and Nasco which is out of Wisconsin or some place in that area. Just google Nasco or Nasco West and see what you come up with.

I'm in California and haven't checked the local regulations on selling one's own eggs, but I know I have the RIGHT to do so - that is in the County Code where I live. However, the [bad word] jerk who complained to the county about my having chickens mentioned in his complaint "sells eggs that aren't inspected and could give diseases to people." I do know the eggs do not have to be inspected by ANYBODY, so I also know the complainant is ignorant (given some other claims in the complaint). There are people who sell their farm eggs out of coolers, on the side of the road!

I don't happen to sell eggs on my property, but I plan on doing so sometime down the line. Customers are co-workers, friends, neighbors (not the jerk). It would be nice to make a little bit of money on all the extra eggs I don't sell or give away because I don't have enough customers. Eh.

But before I do it, I will DEFINITELY get all the information I WILL need at that time. All the Ts crossed and Is dotted so I can put up a sign - like the others I have seen around here. I don't know what they do about regulations but I know I'm gonna do whatever makes it all legal.

Last edited:
I sold some eggs from my house, but I have a friend who sold quite a few eggs to small stores, at farmer's markets, flea markets and from his farm. He did research the regulations and he told me that all was necessary was to apply the stickers I mentioned earlier to the egg cartons. This was in California.

About raw eggs, I tell my friends and family to ALWAYS cook the eggs from my flock. It's the best way to make sure everything is safe. I rinse all eggs under hot water briefly to remove any poop or mud, but that is not acceptable for commercial egg sales.

Many people do use raw eggs, including athletes and others who blend them into protein shakes, and chefs who make various recipes that use raw eggs, such as salad dressings like the formal Caesar one -- that requires a raw egg. I would never give eggs to anyone who was going to do that, though. Those people should always buy their eggs from a grocery store or farm that follows the state and federal requirements for sanitary eggs.

Last edited:
As already said ,check your state and county laws. The FDA does require "safe handleing labeling"
http://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceCom...Documents/FoodLabelingNutrition/ucm059055.htm
" SAFE HANDLING INSTRUCTIONS: To prevent illness from bacteria: keep eggs refrigerated, cook eggs until yolks are firm, and cook foods containing eggs thoroughly." You could just print this on address labels and place on cartons if it is not already pre- printed on carton.

As already said ,check your state and county laws. The FDA does require "safe handleing labeling"
http://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceCom...Documents/FoodLabelingNutrition/ucm059055.htm
" SAFE HANDLING INSTRUCTIONS: To prevent illness from bacteria: keep eggs refrigerated, cook eggs until yolks are firm, and cook foods containing eggs thoroughly." You could just print this on address labels and place on cartons if it is not already pre- printed on carton.

X2 Every state has its own laws on requirements for selling eggs (and other foods). Just because someone has done something for years, does not mean that they are following the rules. There are also very specific federal rules on labeling--especially for using such terms as organic.

I had a similar experience awhile ago. Due to an outbreak of bird flu our entire province (similar to your states) are under quarantine. Have been for nearly a year now after some ostriches were found to carry the disease, thankfully the closest one was about 30 miles from us. I had the state vet round testing my chickens and he's keeping me in the loop, thankfully.
So one day I went to the butchery and said something about eggs. (I sell free range eggs) The butchery owner gave me this whole song and dance about me not being allowed to sell eggs because of the bird flu and "they" will come shut me down and I must keep quiet about my egg selling. So I phoned the state vet. He checked with the boss and said it's fine, I can sell eggs, but not live chickens and I'm not allowed to move chickens around, i.e. take a chicken off our farm. We are also not allowed to keep other livestock on the same farm as poultry and ostriches.
(Latest on the bird flu is after 7 rounds of tests came back negative they have now found a sick ostrich on a farm, so it's a huge blow for the ostrich industry and bad news for me who really wants to sell a few roosters!)
P.S. The butchery owner has been complaining by me because I'm selling eggs to "his" customers...

I really, really, really hate that i even had to look the up!!!! " i typed into google "requirements for selling eggs in california" this it the first link to come up... Someone else had already asked this question.
Farm fresh eggs that eat bugs and dirt and grass and have real suns shine - i have to be afraid that "they" Might get me....
I do not wash my eggs. I do not refrigrate my eggs. The people writing these laws seem like big fat liars to me.

I get live food from my chickens. Until someone told me i would never have thought about this.....

Steam cells.
Live
fertiale
Raw eggs are steam cells. Steam cells that are the miracle cure that is spoken so highly of but we are not allowed to use yet.

I really think that whatever we are told we should not be eating, we really should eat. Thank you Weston A. Price

i like to lick that cake batter bowl too!!! tell me not to lick my bowl...

So from now on i guess that i will ask for donations

Back
Top Bottom