YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHAT I SAW!!!!

Year of the Rooster

Sebright Savvy
11 Years
Jun 27, 2008
West Central Ohio
The other day in the evening I was laying on my hammock reading some magazines when I look up and a Kestrel or some other kind of bird of prey is trying to get another bird, BUT its being dive bombed by to other birds the same size! Unbelievable! Judging by the sound of their calls, I thought they were robins! But they also could've been Blue Jays. Looks like I have my hawk problem figured out. I have my own Air Force now
gig.gif

Ugh, hawks! I was sitting out watching the chickens today and looked up to see a hawk circling. The coop and run are under dense tree cover and it didn't dive, but it made me REALLY nervous.

I went and got a tarp and tarped half of the run. Gotta hope that is enough cover for now.

DH promises to have the wire over the top of the run by the end of the holiday weekend. (I hope, I hope).

We had one dive at one of our kittens once. I ran screaming across the yard towards it and it changed it's mind about 20 feet up. Scary!

Yay little birdies! Give 'em what for!

Quote:
It's called mobbing and is a well-known behavior among birds. Jays are especially noisy when they mob a hawk or owl; if you hear a flock of jays screeching, take a look because there's an owl or hawk nearby. They're great for helping birders find roosting owls.

I watched a single unidentifiable bird mob a perched hawk just this morning. When the hawk is perched, the mobbing bird(s) will usually swoop in a figure-eight fashion, right to the hawk's head. Birds will also mob owls and even occasionally crows. It's fascinating to watch!

I once watched a single tiny flycatcher mob a NESTING osprey with baby osprey in the nest. The osprey just sat took it the entire time; I couldn't believe it didn't retaliate or even threaten, especially with those babies in the nest. Mama osprey obviously knew the flycatcher was no threat, but still!

Amy

o_o wow, that must have been amazing to watch! I'm glad I saw it while I did. I remember one time I was at a friend's house and their cat was near a baby Blue Jay on the ground and the parents were nearby mobbing him and diving at his head. Very cool and funny to watch.

Back when we had a cat in Florida, Tigger used to get divebombed by the bluejays too. Poor guy only wanted to warm up his fur in the sun. he rarely brought a bird home. And Fox35 Orlando couldnt use their garden last year because they had a momma hawk and her youngins. I think Amy Kaufeldt actually got attacked live on air.

I used to work at a university that had a large stand of trees. When the crows were nesting... watch out! A coworker actually had one grab some of her hair! The univ finally had to cordon off that area annually.

Ive seen it several times, with crows even. I started putting out bird feeders last fall because I wanted more birds around to help control the bugs. Well, right now I have at least 3 nests in my front yard, one is full of babies that cheep when mom or dad comes, one is being sat on and the robins got pushed out last week. Come to think about it, I havent seen our resident hawks in a while.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom