Young Cockerel question

Lindesu

Chirping
May 20, 2020
NE Oklahoma
My experiences with cockerels have not been positive. We have had to re-home or execute a couple in the past. I recently ordered 10 new pullets to add to my dwindling and aging flock. These pullets are now about 13 weeks old. Two of them are much bigger and acting very aggressive toward one another, doing a lot of chest butting with each other. So we think we were given a couple a couple of mis-sexed chicks. I really don't want to give them a chance to get aggressive with my hens. Since this is the age that pullets can be harvested for meat, I wondered if these young cockerels could be also taken to a processor and harvested for the freezer. They've mostly been into the coop thus far, so not too muscled up yet. Thanks for advice.

Since this is the age that pullets can be harvested for meat,
Since I don't understand this statement at all my response is probably not the one you are wanting. As far as I am concerned you can eat any chicken of any sex and any age, you just have to know how to cook them. At 13 weeks you will not get much meat but it should be really tender.

Since I don't understand this statement at all my response is probably not the one you are wanting. As far as I am concerned you can eat any chicken of any sex and any age, you just have to know how to cook them. At 13 weeks you will not get much meat but it should be really tender.
Hi, admittedly, I am still a novice, though we have had this flock for several years. I was under the impression that if you want to raise them for meat, you need to butcher fairly young, when they get big enough, but haven't gotten tough.

Are you sure they're cockerels? At this age it'd be clear. So if you'd like to be sure, you could post pictures
I'll try to get a picture. I am not as sure as the husband. He was going mostly by size and behavior. The comb is more developed than the pullets but not very large yet. It looks like there may be some spur buds.

Hi, admittedly, I am still a novice, though we have had this flock for several years. I was under the impression that if you want to raise them for meat, you need to butcher fairly young, when they get big enough, but haven't gotten tough.
If you want tender meat, and as much of it as possible, then yes you have to picky about when you butcher. But they are edible at any age and any size, as @Ridgerunner said.

Young ones will be more tender than old ones, while old ones are more likely to be bigger. Either way can be better, depending on your personal goals.

You can also consider whether one time is more convenient for you than another. You might be extra-busy one week, or want them gone before they crow, or have some other reason to just butcher them at a certain time regardless of size.

some hen will get aggressive and be dominant so they may not be mis sexed. or they could be. try to get some pictures for us. close ups of faces and the feathering around the tails as well as tail feathers

Are you sure they're cockerels? At this age it'd be clear. So if you'd like to be sure, you could post pictures
Pics, we are talking about the black and white. These are Easter Eggers, so hybrids of different varieties. You can see the plumes he is getting
some hen will get aggressive and be dominant so they may not be mis sexed. or they could be. try to get some pictures for us. close ups of faces and the feathering around the tails as well as tail feathers
See below...

Attachments

• 20230725_141113.jpg
    20230725_141113.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 17
  • 20230725_141113.jpg
    20230725_141113.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 19
  • 20230725_140948.jpg
    20230725_140948.jpg
    724.2 KB · Views: 16

Back