Young goose can't open its beak

In case it was zinc poisoning (we have a metal roof on the run) can I administer calcium? I'll see a vet tomorrow anyways, just trying to help the sweetheart while waiting

I’m sorry! These symptoms are severe and aren’t something that can be diagnosed by us or treated at home, the only things I can guess at is some sort of neurological injury or disease, botulism, maybe heavy metal poisoning, or something beyond my knowledge.

Calcium can help to absorb heavy metals in the digestive system, it’s going to be less effective at scrubbing out her bloodstream unless given in high enough levels that will also cause severe health problems. Zinc and metal toxicity is typically treated by multiple injections of CaEDTA which will continue until symptoms disappear and the blood tests return to normal. H
Treating heavy metal poisoning lengthy and very expensive unfortunately.

The only thing I can suggest is to keep her calm and comfortable until you can get her to a vet.

The vet may want to know if she’s had access to paint, wires, old asphalt, shell casings or spent rounds, metallic coatings on things like candles or decorations, or any other possible source of zinc or lead.
Stagnant water, puddles, compost heaps, and rotting food or vegetation can also be sources of botulism.

I looked up tetanus as @Jenbirdee mentioned, I knew it’s a clostridium species but I don’t know much about it’s effects to birds, not a lot of information out there.
https://www.msdvetmanual.com/generalized-conditions/clostridial-diseases/tetanus-in-animals

If it affects geese in the same way as mammals this could account for what’s going on too, the jaw muscles are often affected first and spasms might also occur.
The droppings are bubbly which could indicate an infection, honestly though it’s hard to say, gastrointestinal issues happen with metal poisoning also.

With any clostridium species it can be treated with antibiotics but more of the toxin is released as the bacteria dies so symptoms get worse initially. same thing happens with botulism, another clostridium disease. There is an tetanus antitoxin for horses that’s sometimes used for dogs and cats, it could be used on birds but there isn’t any information that I can find about that so far, which is pretty common with most medicine.

Clostridium species are gram positive rod shaped bacteria that tend to like similar environments, rotting vegetation, compost rich soils, warm, boggy stagnant water. They can affect the digestive system when ingested, tetanus occurs when a wound is infected with the bacteria. I don’t know if it’s true or not but I heard somewhere there’s a possibility of getting it from ticks but it can also come from rodent or other animal bites.

Last edited:
Also what feed has she been on and have you noticed any mold or just a strange smell with the feed?
Our geese are ranging free in the field, they get 2 cups of oats and 2 cups of poultry grower at night.
They also get some lettuce and other veggies throughout the day. Haven't noticed any spoiled foods, but could have missed something...

I’m sorry! These symptoms are severe and aren’t something that can be diagnosed by us or treated at home, the only things I can guess at is some sort of neurological injury or disease, botulism, maybe heavy metal poisoning, or something beyond my knowledge.

Calcium can help to absorb heavy metals in the digestive system, it’s going to be less effective at scrubbing out her bloodstream unless given in high enough levels that will also cause severe health problems. Zinc and metal toxicity is typically treated by multiple injections of CaEDTA which will continue until symptoms disappear and the blood tests return to normal. H
Treating heavy metal poisoning lengthy and very expensive unfortunately.

The only thing I can suggest is to keep her calm and comfortable until you can get her to a vet.

The vet may want to know if she’s had access to paint, wires, old asphalt, shell casings or spent rounds, metallic coatings on things like candles or decorations, or any other possible source of zinc or lead.
Stagnant water, puddles, compost heaps, and rotting food or vegetation can also be sources of botulism.
Thank you for your input. These are definitely good ideas
Yes, our geese have access to the compost pile, unfortunately. Sometimes the chickens dig in the box and take the scraps out... never thought of botulism
As for water, it is being replaced few times a day in the drinking bowls and every other day in the pool.
I hope we will pull through the night and I will contact a vet first thing in the morning

Thank you for your input. These are definitely good ideas
Yes, our geese have access to the compost pile, unfortunately. Sometimes the chickens dig in the box and take the scraps out... never thought of botulism
As for water, it is being replaced few times a day in the drinking bowls and every other day in the pool.
I hope we will pull through the night and I will contact a vet first thing in the morning
Tetanus from the compost heap is a strong likelihood. Tetanus is a very serious illness but it’s easier to treat than metal poisoning.

Back
Top Bottom