Young Rooster

Russorob

In the Brooder
Feb 21, 2022
So I have a rooster that is about 8-10 months old. He is a handsome Australian and has been pretty tame since we got him about a month and a half ago. Recently in the last couple of weeks he has been sort of aggressive towards me. I looked into it as best I could. To me it seems late that he is just now hitting puberty. Is this normal or too late?
I also have this aracauna that might be going broody, could he just be protective of her at the moment?

Sounds as if he is starting to feel his oats. Day light period affects males as much as females. With the increasing day light period his hormones are rising, and he is feeling like a 'BIG' guy. Hopefully it will be a temporary situation as he matures. Good luck in controlling his behavior.

Beware - if you have young children be very aware of an aggressive rooster. Blame him for his behavior, way too often, we want to keep them, and offer excuses for their behavior, the wrong color, or touching a hen, or...

Truth is, if he is aggressive, he does not need a reason, and more than likely will not respond to training. If you are you uneasy about him, trust your instincts. Consider now, what your plan B is, and how you will handle it if he attacks you or others. With roosters, always have a plan B.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom