Young roosters

I have two Silkie roosters and only the two roosters. I was told that bringing hens in would be all bad lol
They are about 8 months old now, and they have squabbled a bit, but never anything that drew blood. They act like they can't be separated though, you would think I was killing one if I took it to another area. One always cuddles up under the other; it's really cute.
I have never had chickens or roosters before though so I do not know when they are mature or if they have truly gone through the things I am reading here. They did fight quite a bit from about 4 1/2 to 6 1/2 months then settled down again.
They still have their moments but not very often.
I actually was looking in here to ask a question because what I have noticed is that one of them who is the smaller of the two and more friendly to us is the dominant one. What I have noticed is that when we pick up the dominant one all is fine and all stays fine but if I pick up the other one, the dominant ones gets all stompy and pecks at my feet and wants him to be put down. He has done this for quite some time but now when I put the other one down the dominant one goes after him with a great big peck on the back and just hangs on for as long as he can until the other breaks free and then its done. I am wondering if the dominant one is jealous when we pick up the other one? Is that a thing with chickens in general or roosters?

They act like they can't be separated though, you would think I was killing one if I took it to another area. One always cuddles up under the other; it's really cute.
Mine do that too! The white one (snowball) cuddles up under the brown one (lafayette) and if they are separated for even a moment then put down they always run (and sometimes try to fly) to eachother. Its the cutest thing i have ever seen.

Well, I hear they can be trouble lol. Mine are very sweet though, they sit with us and just hang out, as soon as we pick them up they close their eyes and just melt in relax mode in our arms. They get baths and blow dried and are pretty much not treated like they are chickens at all. But they did grow up sleeping in our house (in their bed), and soon they didn't want to be outside much. They would just come back to the door or come in when the door open. They tried to use the dog door until they got too big for that. My dogs are 3-pound Yorkies, so it's a small door.
I just had to move them so they are not at our house now and I know they are in culture shock. They are in a greenhouse at my friend's place until we get moved, I have been worried sick since their move about 3 weeks ago. They seem to be doing ok, but they are changing a little because of it. :(

Once I hatched out 2 chicks, a rooster and a hen, when they were 3 weeks old, I got 2 baby chicks from a friend. The rooster and hen were so happy to see other chickens they didn't peck the babies, and the rooster laid down so he was short like they were and showed them how to eat.

Back
Top Bottom