YOUR FAVORITE ETHNIC FOOD or DISH?

Chicabee19

Songster
11 Years
Aug 8, 2008
n/a
I'm always trying to find new and interesting things to cook.

Do you have a favorite ethnic type of food?

How about a favorite dish?

Do you have a recipe you'd like to share?

One of our favorites is Tadiq. Here is the way we make it, taught by an old Persian grandma:

Tadiq

Use good quality long Basmati rice. Rinse it a few times and pre-soak for an hour in plain water.

Add the rice to a pot of boiling salted water (1/2 cup rice to every 1 c water).

Cook until the rice floats to the top of the pot (about 8 minutes). It should be part fluffy, part al dente.

Drain the rice well and keep some of the water.

Add 2-3 T hot water to some ground spices (I love Saffron).

Add the spices & 1/4 c salted butter to the bottom of the pot. Make sure the butter coats 2 inches up the sides.

Add the rice in a mound, making sure to avoid the sides.

With a wooden spoon end, make holes in the mound and drizzle a little of the saved water and some melted butter into the holes.

Cover the pot with a towel, then put the pot lid on nice and tight. Cook on low heat for at least half an hour.

You should hear some light frying noises (check it after 15 minutes. If the rice is browning too fast, add a bit more water to the holes). Total cooking time w/ the towel is 30 minutes.

We love to eat this with Persian Pomegranate Walnut Chicken (http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/2034/persian-pomegranate-walnut-chicken--khoresht-fesenjaan-.aspx)

thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
I'd like to add my recipe for: Wariq Arish (lebanese stuffed grape leaves) It's real easy........
1 lb ground lamb
1 large onion
1 tbs. allspice
1 cup raw basmati rice (basically any rice will do)
1 bunch of chopped parsley
dash of salt
lots of ground pepper
1 jar of grape leaves

mix all ingredients in a large bowl till well blended. Roll out grape leaves pinching off the stem, put 1 tsp of mix at the base of the leaf rolling up as you roll the sides in forming a tight little roll. When done rolling, put in pot standing on end, layer on layer if nec. and fill with water to the top of the last roll. Place a small plate on top of the rolls in the pot(enough to press them down slightly) and cover with lid. Bring to a boil, then simmer of the lowest setting for about 20 min. There should be little if any water left. Let cool and drizzle with virgin olive oil. May be served with plain yogurt. Delish!

One of my favorite "ethnic" dishes would be oriental stir-fry. I think I like it so much because it is easy, fast, economical, delicious, healthy, and you can make it for one person or a family of four. If someone doesn't like the taste of soy sauce, you can portion out their serving before adding the sauce. If a child doesn't like their food "all mixed up" you can portion out the meat, vegetables, and rice on their plate in separate little piles.

Here is a stir-fry recipe of my own making:

Stir-fry Chicken-in-a-Garden

1 lb. boneless chicken breasts
3 TB soy sauce
1 TB cornstarch
4 TB vegetable oil (not olive oil)
1 clove garlic
2 t. minced or grated fresh ginger root
2 green onions, white parts and onion tops separated
1 red bell pepper, cut in strips
3 cups broccoli flowerets
2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced on the diagonal
1/2 cup chicken broth or bouillon

Have all ingredients chopped, in separate containers and ready to go before you start cooking!

Cut chicken in bite sized cubes; set aside. In a small bowl, mix soy sauce and cornstarch until smooth.

Heat 2 TB oil in a wok, stir-fry pan or large skillet. Add ginger and garlic and cook 1 minute to flavor the oil. Add the chicken cubes, stir-fry for 3 minutes. Remove the meat, garlic, and ginger to a bowl and set aside.

Heat 2 TB oil in the same pan. Add broccoli, carrots, pepper, and green onion (white parts). Stir-fry 2-3 minutes. Add green onion tops, stir-fry 1 minute. Return the chicken to the pan and stir to mix with vegetables. Pour the broth down the side of the pan into the chicken/veggie mixture. Stir in the soy sauce mixture. Stir over high heat until thickened.

Serve dish over hot, cooked rice or noodles. Serves 4-6.

Back
Top Bottom