your opinion?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tx_dane_mom, Dec 26, 2008.

1. tx_dane_mom

tx_dane_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2007
    SE Texas
    i lost all my birds except 3 rouens thx to hurricane Ike (i guess ~$500). Now I'm ready to start over...on a much smaller scale. what do I do? Hatch PB, get some X's laying locally, or order chix from Ideal & grow them up. I dont want the hobby to turn into a chore again. I was thinking the lg. pullet suprise from Ideal...like 11 girls & hope they chunk in a cpl boys...but I LOVED my barred n blue rocks....and I cant stand paying so much for store eggs of comparable quality....
    help,
    krisri

Last edited: Dec 26, 2008
  2. birdsofparadise

birdsofparadise Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    North Kohala, Hawaii
    Whatʻs the question? Ordering from Ideal, especially since you are IN Texas, is the quickest and cheapest way to go. New orders for most breeds start January 10th. The "hobby" only becomes a chore if you let it, so donʻt go overboard. Use some of your Pre-Ike experience to make it more fun and easier this time around. Mele Kalikimaka (Merry X-mas) from Hawaii!

3. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    If you want to start over quick I would order some chicks AND look around the area for a few laying hens and maybe a roo (if you can have one) That way you could hatch also if you want !! Good luck and sorry to hear about youe loss's [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by