Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Im not shure what kind of chickens i have,my pics wont down loadand this site is way to complicated and not verry user freindly.so ive chosen to stop coming on this site,have alote of ? And am getting none of them answered. Thanks for your time,have a nice day

A lot of times, to avoid spammers, you have to post at least 10 times before you can upload photos. Starting a thread to ask a question is actually very simple. All you have to do is click on the Forum tab at the top of the page. Select the topic board that best pertains to your question. Then click the "Start a New Thread" button.

My chickens are 14 weeks now. All the guesses were spot when it came to gender. From 3 straight run AMs I ended up with 2 pullets and 1 roo. I'm not supposed to have a rooster but I've come up with a solution to keeping him quiet till 8 am. I'm hoping if he doesn't wake anyone up they won't mind his crowing during the day too much. He's not as loud as some of the dogs in my neighborhood. He is actually crowing less now then he did just a week ago. Not sure what that's about.

Anyway, here are some pictures I took yesterday. I discovered sunset is not the best time as it washes out their colors some. But what do you all think? I know they are still young but are they decent examples of the breed? I'm not looking to become a breeder but if I give eggs to friends to hatch I want to make sure I'm not sending out birds that shouldn't be called AMs.

Malcolm. He likes to sleep right next to the wall of the coop and it is damaging the feathers on his wings; those are the white spots on his side. I don't know why he does it since I have 8 ft of roost for 5 birds. None of them like to use the middle actually. He just started dropping his wing for the girls two days ago. It's so cool to see him mature.

Kaylee. Still my favorite.

Zoe. Her beard and muffs aren't as big as Kaylee's. They are also much darker. I like the darker contrast of the feathers on her head.

These are my wheaten and blue wheaten pullets, not laying yet.
will the dark under color near the base of the tail feathers on their lower backs look different or is this the way they are supposed to look?
(I don't know what that feather area is called..lol)

Last edited:
His comb may or may not grow out worse, but the red feathers are leakage and will definitely get worse.

Thank you for an honest evaluation. Also, I have a black Ameraucana from the same hatch with a few white feathers in her beard, directly under the beak and another with a few white feathers near the base of the tail. One bird has a single barred feather. At 12 weeks, do you think they'll grow out of that or is the white also leakage that will get worse like the red leakage? Let me know if you need pictures.

About 3 months ago we picked up 3 day olds from a local breeder who did her best to sex them. We are now afraid 2 of them are roosters. Any advice?

Bird 1 - We are thinking this is a pullet

Bird 2

Bird 3

We were hoping one would end up being a roo so that we could breed, but a little disappointed that 2 might be.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom