deaths door peacock

Quite right! Any two year old male should weigh no less than 4 kg, so this boy had lost almost 50% of his weight, and possibly more. Sadly, once they lose this much weight it's very rare that they recover.

Shame on them.

-Kathy

Thats what my husband mentioned to me, that I should still try, but not to get to attached until he would at least support his own weight.

I think one should always try, but should do so knowing the odds are against them. Even if you had been able to get him to a vet, I doubt he would have survived the car trip and exam.

-Kathy

He wasn't free range, they said they were both in a 10x10 together. Sounded like for the whole first two years.

Sorry to hear your boy did not make it. No matter how many we have nor how long we have had them we all hate losing a bird. It is sad to hear that they were kept in a ten by ten pen. Those birds were unlucky to be owned by those people. Hopefully with future worming and cocci treatments your hen will continue to improve. Sounds that her lot in life is getting better with owners who care.

I was unable to the necropsy, but what are the signs of cocci? With them being the only two birds and together their lives so far, I'm sure she's got whatever he did, she just hasn't got as bad as him

I was unable to the necropsy, but what are the signs of cocci? With them being the only two birds and together their lives so far, I'm sure she's got whatever he did, she just hasn't got as bad as him
The signs are the same as many other things peafowl get, so that's why it's so important to do a necropsy. How does her poop look?

Normal cecal poop. They poop these 2-3 times a day.

This is a normal "regular" poop from a young peahen that's been eating noting but crumbles:

Last edited by a moderator:
what would tell in a necropsy if it was cocci, my husband did a little investigating, but the smell got the better of my tummy, normally things llike that wouldnt bother me, but it was almost like he had been dead a lot longer then he really had been.

what would tell in a necropsy if it was cocci, my husband did a little investigating, but the smell got the better of my tummy, normally things llike that wouldnt bother me, but it was almost like he had been dead a lot longer then he really had been.

A necropsy could almost rule out coccidiosis if the intestines look fine. Such a bad smell in such a short time make me think that he had a raging bacterial infection of some type, which could have been caused by necrotic enteritis, blackhead, E. coli, coccidiosis, or combination of those. Spots on the liver would mean blackhead, so that's one of the reasons I really wanted you to do the necropsy.

-Kathy

If he died from blackhead you would probably want to give her metronidazole for five days. Oh, and the infection could also have been caused by damage to the intestines from the worms. When your husband cut him open, what did the inside look like? Any fluids?

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom