Dominique Thread!

I don't know if she has a u shape back, and also I got her at a feed store

Google several articles and histories about Doms and you'll get a nice idea of the U-shaped back - especially noticeable in the Dom roo's profile photos. Langshans are another breed that have the U-shaped stance.

Here's a baby pic of her!

How do you tell your Dom hens apart?
I suppose many of you with very large breeding flocks probably don't bother, but since I keep mine as pets who also make breakfast, I'd like to come up with names and the whole deal... As chicks, I could go by their head spots. Now that they're fully feathered, no more head spots.
Are those plastic split rings a good idea? I feel like they'd do nothing but fiddle with them. I'm worried colored rubber bands would snag and hurt them, and I don't want to share my nail polish!

Last edited:
My Doms are the friendliest of my hens and are pets. I tell them apart by the different spots or marks on their legs. They also have very different personalities so it's easy to tell once they are in your lap. They also have different sounds. I have one Dom who wants to be held and cuddled all the time and she still peeps like a baby when she wants to be picked up.

How do you tell your Dom hens apart?
I suppose many of you with very large breeding flocks probably don't bother, but since I keep mine as pets who also make breakfast, I'd like to come up with names and the whole deal... As chicks, I could go by their head spots. Now that they're fully feathered, no more head spots.
Are those plastic split rings a good idea? I feel like they'd do nothing but fiddle with them. I'm worried colored rubber bands would snag and hurt them, and I don't want to share my nail polish!

Colored cable ties (tiny zip ties). Make sure you check them as they grow buy they work really well. They play with them for a few days but then they get used to them. Make sure you cut the extra off as close to the "zipper" as possible because they will grab the extra end and tighten the zip tie. I only put mine on tight enough to not slip over their toes

Mine all have tiny differences in their beaks (more dark areas), and their personalities are pretty different, I know pretty easily which one is which just by how they behave.

Back
Top Bottom