Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat - Part 2 : Chicken Boogaloo.

Okay, this is entirely off topic, but my last post got me thinking. I figured out school is physically impossible.
School is eight hours a day. You have four core classes, plus two electives. The core classes will each give roughly two hours of work a night, and the electives will give you about twenty, depending. This is about eight hours of homework.

8+8= 16
16 hours of work

And then of course, the average teen is supposed to have upwards of 8 hours of sleep a night.

16+8=24

And then the teachers get angry at you for having poor grades and being tired all the time. Like, do I need a freaking Tardis?

And then people wonder why so many teens have to go to therapy, and are depressed, self harming, suicidal, drug addicts.

Rant over sorry.

And people wonder why so many people are failing. Yes. Yes they do. 

Wow that's absurd!

I don't think I had that much either that or I didn't do it lol but I think for me some classes would have a lot but then other classes I wouldn't have much or anything. Also they never used to give homework on weekends and I know now with the electronics they are and I think that's absurd

1 to 2 hours of homework, per subject. Then you're supposed to have extra curriculars and hold a part time job. And that was 15 years ago. The problem is, the teachers don't communicate about what is being assigned in each class, so students can end up with ridiculous homework loads. The teacher thinks, "Oh, it's just a few pages of equations/few chapters of reading/writing assignment..." But when every teacher in the school is thinking like that, it adds up.
Part of the reason I love the school district that my kids are enrolled in. Minimal homework, consisting of whatever class work didn't get finished during the school day. Even big projects are expected to be done on school time, not as extra homework.

1 to 2 hours of homework, per subject. Then you're supposed to have extra curriculars and hold a part time job. And that was 15 years ago. The problem is, the teachers don't communicate about what is being assigned in each class, so students can end up with ridiculous homework loads. The teacher thinks, "Oh, it's just a few pages of equations/few chapters of reading/writing assignment..." But when every teacher in the school is thinking like that, it adds up.
Part of the reason I love the school district that my kids are enrolled in. Minimal homework, consisting of whatever class work didn't get finished during the school day. Even big projects are expected to be done on school time, not as extra homework.
IMO, public school is a joke. Home schooled kids can get all of their work done in 1/2 of the time, and when comparing the average home schooled kid's standards to the standards of public school kids, most HS kids show higher scores. I won't even go into the rant about the amount of tax money for public school compared to many private schools who provide superior education at a fraction of the cost per student.

And the extra homework? How is it that the average adult works his 8 hour day, and then gets to go home, and be done with work till the next morning. While the student does a full day of classes and is then expected to go home and do hours of HW every night???

Wow that's an awesome school! But now it seems to be less about extra curriculars and more about the person or at least like HOW involved you are in each one, they're starting to catch on that kids sign up for a million clubs but never go to any and want them to actually be involved at least from what I've seen. And I never worked and a lot of kids don't but that might just be me. A lot of kids do work.

And I think maybe I had less classes. I usually had like 5 I think.

IMO, public school is a joke.  Home schooled kids can get all of their work done in 1/2 of the time, and when comparing the average home schooled kid's standards to the standards of public school kids, most HS kids show higher scores.  I won't even go into the rant about the amount of tax money for public school compared to many private schools who provide superior education at a fraction of the cost per student.  

And the extra homework?  How is it that the average adult works his 8 hour day, and then gets to go home, and be done with work till the next morning.  While the student does a full day of classes and is then expected to go home and do hours of HW every night???

You do make good points but I think it depends on the school too. My school was pretty good and it's supposedly ranked pretty high but they don't really do much to help the kids and a lot of the good teachers retired now. And the admin has gotten out of control lol

But some schools like city ones have such a low budget and are terrible.

But yeah, the homework and the fact they're doing more work and harder more advanced stuff at younger and younger ages is ridiculous.

But I don't know, I also think that like yeah, they can maybe learn a lot and faster being homeschooled, but the social element isn't really there which imo is just as important. I mean, yeah, good scores are nice but later in life it's the social skills that are important and need to be learned.

Although I guess now they have websites and homeschooling programs and stuff where parents meet up for field trips so they get the social part there some

Our public school is one of the best in the state- bc the good schooling of our general area, private schools are mostly for 'trouble' kids. It's MA, and the taxes in our town are sky high to accommodate our schooling- even to bus kids from Boston to make a more diverse community.

Back
Top Bottom