Muscovy keepers share your pics!

gotta get newer pics, especially for you white head fans. Seven of my eight girls are white heads. At least half of males are all white heads too. bleh! solid black, solid chocolate, solid cream, solid lavender, and solid porcelain, would be hevenly art to pamper. ladies are lucky i love them. i think whatever keeps re burrowing from neighbors locked barn, maybe eating eggs as well as feed. any ideas? i thought was ground hogs and heard grunting one time i thought, and can almost stick my head in. The drake penned in with them one night tore into something as next day there was blood all around main burrow hole, and tunnels ect stopped for days and now smaller and dirt pushed from inside to close every morn now after i dig out, and drake hisses and sits at hole huffing and puffing.

At what age do muscovies molt for the first time. I picked up a pair of adult whites this winter. Their age was unknown but the guy guessed about a year old. Right now the drake looks like hes been plucked and the hen is starting to grow back her wings. I am hoping to narrow down their age. Also how long after molt do they start to lay?

gotta get newer pics, especially for you white head fans. Seven of my eight girls are white heads. At least half of males are all white heads too. bleh! solid black, solid chocolate, solid cream, solid lavender, and solid porcelain, would be hevenly art to pamper. ladies are lucky i love them. i think whatever keeps re burrowing from neighbors locked barn, maybe eating eggs as well as feed. any ideas? i thought was ground hogs and heard grunting one time i thought, and can almost stick my head in. The drake penned in with them one night tore into something as next day there was blood all around main burrow hole, and tunnels ect stopped for days and now smaller and dirt pushed from inside to close every morn now after i dig out, and drake hisses and sits at hole huffing and puffing.
the white head gene is dominant, really hard to get rid off, they'll get white heads even if they only have one dose of it. 2 doses of white head into no white head = all white heads(1 dose). 1 dose of white head into non white head = 50% white head 50% non white head. its a pain in the butt to get rid of!

Well my white heads aren't dominant , like pure white heads, I have two and the older one'a mom was a full white head but she died 2 years ago , but anyway when tht female had babies they don't have full white heads that had a black strip and black specs all alon their faces so either some gene is co dominant or it combined with another gene to make an incomplete dominance,

Also I have noticed that males don't prefer white head females because in the wild it's a bad mutation for them so if u get a male to mate with a white head even when they're is a female without a white head then your lucky ( I dont know if that made since)

Little Muscovy babies :)

Last edited:
At what age do muscovies molt for the first time. I picked up a pair of adult whites this winter. Their age was unknown but the guy guessed about a year old. Right now the drake looks like hes been plucked and the hen is starting to grow back her wings. I am hoping to narrow down their age. Also how long after molt do they start to lay?

I am not sure at what age they first molt........

But they DO look ratty during their molt, much worse than my chickens ever do.

Has anyone had experience with female muscovies that only hiss? Or do all female muscovies make the classic female noises? Thanks

So... My girls are all laying in the one box and they're now up to 20+ eggs. The box is FULL and they aren't either interested in laying in the new boxes we made them OR going broody.
What do I do? This is driving me batty with anticipation!!
They've started pushing several into a new pile in the corner of thier box but there just isn't room.
Plus some of these eggs are getting close to 30 days old so surely they can't still be viable?
Help please! Can I do anything to promote nesting?

Back
Top Bottom