November 2016 Hatch-a-long!!

Well, I knew I was lucky hatching 7 out of 7 fertile shipped eggs for my October hatch.

The November hatch is not looking quite as good. Eight eggs in the incubator, and nearly every egg has a wobbly air cell. I have two blood rings on Day 7. On the bright side, three eggs have veins and movement! Hoping for a few pretty Wyandottes.
fl.gif

Is anyone else candling right now?
Today is technically day 7, but I candled on day 5, so I'm trying to hold out until day 14. We'll see. Last time I candled at least one every day because it was all so amazing. It's still amazing, but I want to mess with them less.

Yesterday was day 10 for me. 10/42 do not appear fertile. No ooze/smell so I'm eaving in until day 14.

Some are amazingly active, some are incredibly hard to see.

3/4 ishbars show life. One had blood ring.
3/9 ishbar mixes appear infertile.
2/18 lavender Orpingtons appear infertile/quitters
4/11 of my personal flock appear infertile.

Good news is, the majority of the ones I paid for look good. Excited to add some lavender orps and ishbars to my flock :)

Yesterday was day 10 for me. 10/42 do not appear fertile. No ooze/smell so I'm eaving in until day 14.

Good news is, the majority of the ones I paid for look good. Excited to add some lavender orps and ishbars to my flock :)

Sounds great! I especially can't wait to see those lavender babies!!

Today is technically day 7, but I candled on day 5, so I'm trying to hold out until day 14. We'll see. Last time I candled at least one every day because it was all so amazing. It's still amazing, but I want to mess with them less.
I know. My first hatch, I was obsessed with candling. I was careful, washed hands well... but I still think I messed with them too much. Trying to wait until day 14 now, too. Agreed, it is amazing!

Good news is, the majority of the ones I paid for look good. Excited to add some lavender orps and ishbars to my flock
smile.png
Sounds very promising, especially for a good number of lavender Orpingtons!!

Hello all!

Its been years since I had chickens, but now that we've bought a house and settled back down it felt like time to start over again. We have an acre in a residential area, so I guess it's more like urban chicken keeping than what I did before when we lived out in the country. Thinking about what keeping chickens means to me, I couldn't help but think of my great granddad who had chickens that he referred to as "Dominickers". I've done a lot of research since then of course, and I believe he had barred rocks. So, I ordered some barred rock eggs from ebay (seller mary4d). I didn't have enough posts to utilize our buy/sell/trade options here on BYC at the time. I ordered 5 eggs but received 7, although two were broken during shipping. I was worried that they had been jostled around too much, but I set them on 10/19 and didn't touch them until tonight. All five are developing :) It's hard to see in a picture, but all have veining and movement. If all goes well, they're due to hatch 11/9.

Hello all! Its been years since I had chickens, but now that we've bought a house and settled back down it felt like time to start over again. We have an acre in a residential area, so I guess it's more like urban chicken keeping than what I did before when we lived out in the country. Thinking about what keeping chickens means to me, I couldn't help but think of my great granddad who had chickens that he referred to as "Dominickers". I've done a lot of research since then of course, and I believe he had barred rocks. So, I ordered some barred rock eggs from ebay (seller mary4d). I didn't have enough posts to utilize our buy/sell/trade options here on BYC at the time. I ordered 5 eggs but received 7, although two were broken during shipping. I was worried that they had been jostled around too much, but I set them on 10/19 and didn't touch them until tonight. All five are developing :) It's hard to see in a picture, but all have veining and movement. If all goes well, they're due to hatch 11/9.
How exciting that's what I'm doing as well congrats!!!

Hello all! Its been years since I had chickens, but now that we've bought a house and settled back down it felt like time to start over again. We have an acre in a residential area, so I guess it's more like urban chicken keeping than what I did before when we lived out in the country. Thinking about what keeping chickens means to me, I couldn't help but think of my great granddad who had chickens that he referred to as "Dominickers". I've done a lot of research since then of course, and I believe he had barred rocks. So, I ordered some barred rock eggs from ebay (seller mary4d). I didn't have enough posts to utilize our buy/sell/trade options here on BYC at the time. I ordered 5 eggs but received 7, although two were broken during shipping. I was worried that they had been jostled around too much, but I set them on 10/19 and didn't touch them until tonight. All five are developing :) It's hard to see in a picture, but all have veining and movement. If all goes well, they're due to hatch 11/9.
That's awesome! Candling mine on Monday.

Back
Top Bottom