November 2016 Hatch-a-long!!

Pics
I think my hatch is basically done. Ended up with 2 CCL cockerels, 1 BCM, and 1 yellow fluff ball that could be wheaten Marans or some kind of cross. Guess we'll have to wait and see what she/he grown in to. Don't mind my messy brooder. They're in with my week and a half old Ayam cemani chicks :)

I think my hatch is basically done. Ended up with 2 CCL cockerels, 1 BCM, and 1 yellow fluff ball that could be wheaten Marans or some kind of cross. Guess we'll have to wait and see what she/he grown in to. Don't mind my messy brooder. They're in with my week and a half old Ayam cemani chicks :)

So CUTE!!

Well, we candled the one hen's eggs today, and most were definitely gone. 4 were iffy, but still looked like they were still developing, one was for sure, I actually saw the chick move! We gave her new eggs anyway, and moved the 4 over to the other hen. I marked them so we would know if any of them hatched. They are both now sitting on 14 eggs. So we will have chicks hatching this weekend, and then chicks hatching in 3 weeks.

I think my hatch is basically done. Ended up with 2 CCL cockerels, 1 BCM, and 1 yellow fluff ball that could be wheaten Marans or some kind of cross. Guess we'll have to wait and see what she/he grown in to. Don't mind my messy brooder. They're in with my week and a half old Ayam cemani chicks
smile.png

They look great!

Well, we candled the one hen's eggs today, and most were definitely gone. 4 were iffy, but still looked like they were still developing, one was for sure, I actually saw the chick move! We gave her new eggs anyway, and moved the 4 over to the other hen. I marked them so we would know if any of them hatched. They are both now sitting on 14 eggs. So we will have chicks hatching this weekend, and then chicks hatching in 3 weeks.

We've got about two more weeks but we're in the same boat, it seems. Best case we're looking at 8-10 out of 18. I won't even entertain a worst-case.

Best of luck this weekend!

We've got about two more weeks but we're in the same boat, it seems. Best case we're looking at 8-10 out of 18. I won't even entertain a worst-case.

Best of luck this weekend!

Thanks! And to you as well! It is sad to lose them, even before they hatch. I was just heartbroken the other day when we came home to her on the wrong nest. I was looking forward to seeing how the two mommas would be with each other and the chicks with so many hatching at the same time. Next time we have to leave town when we have hens brooding, I will be sure to have our animal care takers check the hens as well.

Last edited:
I bought an incubator yesterday a little giants 9300 style. I read that you should put the large end up so i stood them all up small side down. I sat 5 1/2 dozen in last night at 7 o'clock here is to hoping for a good hatch. This is my first incubation ever and I am not sure what I am doing i put the temp at 99.5 and added a little water the humility is around 65 the eggs are touching but they do that under the hen to so i am not worried about that it is more less the turning thing i am worried about. I am really interested in some expert advice.

Back
Top Bottom