November 2016 Hatch-a-long!!

Pics

My sole survivor :) Temp fluctuations got the best of the others.

My sole survivor :) Temp fluctuations got the best of the others.
Such an adorable chick! Hope it's a girl. Are you going to buy it a buddy? (Lonely only chicks can peep a lot. A stuffed toy to snuggle with may help.) You may want to reach out to others in your area who have chickens & see if they have an extra peep to donate.

Such an adorable chick!  Hope it's a girl.  Are you going to buy it a buddy? (Lonely only chicks can peep a lot.  A stuffed toy to snuggle with may help.)  You may want to reach out to others in your area who have chickens & see if they have an extra peep to donate.

So far no one else has anything hatching right now, but between her stuffed toy & a little mirror she seems pretty content. Once she's off heat I'll try integrating her with the silkies in the heated garage. They're pretty laid back. Hoping it's a pullet as well.

So far no one else has anything hatching right now, but between her stuffed toy & a little mirror she seems pretty content. Once she's off heat I'll try integrating her with the silkies in the heated garage. They're pretty laid back. Hoping it's a pullet as well.
I've read that silkies make great mamas. There may be a good chance that one will adopt her.

(My Sebright flew over the fence to adopt a group of 3 wk old chicks in the chicken tractor. She kept visiting them daily until I let her inside to care for them full time.)

Turkeys have a longer incubation period, but a broody hen will sit until her eggs hatch, so why not! There are several people who have had chickens hatch ducks. The hens are a little confused when their babies go for a swim, but otherwise, they do fine.

One thing to take into consideration is how large & fast turkeys grow, so less eggs must be set.

I did a quick search, & yes, people have done it. Here was one person's hen raising some poults.
(not my pic)
LL

Last edited:
DD did the last candling last night.

Chicken Eggs:
6/6 backyard eggs look good
5/6 of farmer market eggs look good, one was clear
+1 extra egg that was thrown in - but not part of the experiment.

Quail eggs
8/10 backyard eggs look good, 1 is a ?, 1 was clear
7/10 farmer market eggs look good, 1 is ?, 2 were clear
0/10 store eggs developed Only 1 is a ? because the shell is too thick & dark to see anything.
+ about 4-5 backyard eggs that were added just because we had them.

It's time to make some brooders! The quail should hatch Tues & the chickens on Thanksgiving. Today we removed the turner & increased the humidity of the quail incubator. I'm so glad we were able to get the eggs started when we did. DD has off from school all week, so I know what she'll be doing. (We call it "incubator TV.")

Back
Top Bottom