Pictures from wild green peacock in Northern Thailand and Java

The two year old male peacock that was caught in the wild is very stunning is he a muticus muticus? He is more of what I thought muticus muticus would look like since you always read that muticus muticus is the most brilliant, followed by muticus imperator, then muticus spicifer. What I have been realizing from all of the photos you have taken and photos of your peafowl is that in my opinion, the imperators look more brilliant. Then I saw a set of photos of some wild imperators, actually after visiting the photographer's website again I see that they have taken even more photos, but it was these photos that really captured my love for imperators. They have a specific golden shine in some of these photos. It is just breathtaking.
Here is the link to the photos: https://naturfotografen-forum.de/o322244-Green+Peafowl
If you do some clicking around you can find other green peafowl photos too. It must be amazing to see them in the wild.

Anyways from leo7's photos, the imperators look much more brilliant than the muticus and the muticus hens have a lot more barring, which I think muticus hens are supposed to have a lot of barring like that? I am not sure as I am not an expert, I just love learning about them and looking at photos of them in the wild.

Here are some links to short movies from me

Pavo muticus muticus Java Indonesia

Pavo muticus imperator from Northern Thailand

Last edited:
The two year old male peacock that was caught in the wild is very stunning is he a muticus muticus? He is more of what I thought muticus muticus would look like since you always read that muticus muticus is the most brilliant, followed by muticus imperator, then muticus spicifer. What I have been realizing from all of the photos you have taken and photos of your peafowl is that in my opinion, the imperators look more brilliant. Then I saw a set of photos of some wild imperators, actually after visiting the photographer's website again I see that they have taken even more photos, but it was these photos that really captured my love for imperators. They have a specific golden shine in some of these photos. It is just breathtaking.
Here is the link to the photos: https://naturfotografen-forum.de/o322244-Green+Peafowl
If you do some clicking around you can find other green peafowl photos too. It must be amazing to see them in the wild.

Anyways from leo7's photos, the imperators look much more brilliant than the muticus and the muticus hens have a lot more barring, which I think muticus hens are supposed to have a lot of barring like that? I am not sure as I am not an expert, I just love learning about them and looking at photos of them in the wild.
It's all subjective. Delacour said muticus was the prettiest and spicifer was the dullest, and imperator was in between. I tend to think spicifer is the most "beautiful" form because it is such a huge bird and its slaty colours.

Baluran National Park is home to a form which most people refer to as "muticus muticus" (though I personally refer to these birds as Javanensis to distinguish them from the extinct Malaysian Peafowl). Those Baluran are incredible, I used to think they simply looked like the Thai Imperator but a bit brighter, but the way that male stands is very similar to spicifer; he looks huge.

Beautiful photos!

From Thailand's mountains down to Java's coast

Abandoned young peacocks in Western Thailand with new old friends Pavo muticus imperator

Last edited:
Yea everything i read about green blood kept me from persuing them because it is said they can not be free ranged and are wild but that does not seem to be the case from looking at some of the wonderful photos i have seen here lately.

Not entirely true!
Long ago .... during colonial time were found in the villages of Indo-China group of peacocks totaly free... in the bush! As of today agamis birds in native village of Amazon, or cassowary in Papua!
Here is a picture from a video taken in Cambodia last year!

There are green peacock lines that can be free ranged.

Leo! Sooooo ... beautiful video .... why not put them on the other forum?

Not entirely true!
Long ago .... during colonial time were found in the villages of Indo-China group of peacocks totaly free... in the bush! As of today agamis birds in native village of Amazon, or cassowary in Papua!
Here is a picture from a video taken in Cambodia last year!

There are green peacock lines that can be free ranged.

Leo! Sooooo ... beautiful video .... why not put them on the other forum?
I won't be adding anymore to my flocks but would like to know what lines can be free ranged.
I was not able to view your video, when i clicked to watch it it took me to another window but would not play
sad.png

I love the scenery in the last video. Not only are green peafowl beautiful, but they certainly live in some beautiful places. All of the moments you were able to video are really great with the fights and the peahen scratching for food with her peachicks.

It's all subjective. Delacour said muticus was the prettiest and spicifer was the dullest, and imperator was in between. I tend to think spicifer is the most "beautiful" form because it is such a huge bird and its slaty colours.
So spicifers are the largest? They do always look big in the photos and they seem to stand very tall.

Back
Top Bottom