San Diego Chicken meetup and Chat thread

FREE to BYCers. PM me if you could use it.. Coup couch???

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/fuo/4430370564.html

Blue leather sofa bed. $10
Makes an excellent double guest bed.
BUT
The leather is worn and there are small 2 tears in seat. Could be repaired if so inspired/talented or use a blanket to cover seat (like we did). Leather could do with moisturizing too.
Great if you are a student and wants a cheap couch/bed, or are someone who just needs a couch. Also useful for BARRICADING THE DOOR IN THE EVENT OF THE ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE.
TOTALLY FUNCTIONAL and a steal for $10!!
You will need some means of taking it away. Will fit in truck or Honda odyssey minivan. If you are a student in San Diego YOU WILL HAVE A FRIEND WITH A MOM WITH A HONDA ODYSSEY MINIVAN!! They are endemic in San Diego.

That's an awesome ad, Phage.
lau.gif

Good Morning - sort of. I'm in Valley Center and we had a fox in the yard last night before dusk. When I yelled it ran off and I locked the chickens up early. This morning little ones were running around so I knew there was a problem. Something tore through the hardware cloth, I didn't think a fox could do that. Does anyone have any idea what could do this?
I'll post a picture in a minute.

We had eight young pullets and we lost four, There were a few feathers in the coop but none outside. Terry doesn't think a fox could do this but since this was the first time I've seen one I just think it would be too big a coincidence.

We had eight young pullets and we lost four, There were a few feathers in the coop but none outside. Terry doesn't think a fox could do this but since this was the first time I've seen one I just think it would be too big a coincidence.
Oh my goodness Lois..... I am soo sorry.... The only thing I think could do something like this is a Bobcat. Something with claws could get a grip on stretched hardware cloth. Bobcats are strong. And with the drought probably very determined.....

I may or may not have mentioned this but we think a mountain lion got my goats. So Now I have no livestock except my horse.
I am not doing any chickens or other livestock up there till I get the fences fixed, and the Hot wire in place. I need to get her a companion animal to keep her company though. Sigh.

deb

Thanks Deb, So sad to hear about your goats. One of our little girls showed up so we lost three. Terry came home from work early to fix the coop. Since they're out during the day we're going to cover the door with plywood. Some of our other coops have the same kind of doors, we really didn't think anything was that strong. We thought they were pretty safe.
We have seen bob cats in other years. Going to re-think getting an electric wire.

Thanks Deb, So sad to hear about your goats. One of our little girls showed up so we lost three. Terry came home from work early to fix the coop. Since they're out during the day we're going to cover the door with plywood. Some of our other coops have the same kind of doors, we really didn't think anything was that strong. We thought they were pretty safe.
We have seen bob cats in other years. Going to re-think getting an electric wire.
You might just put welded wire on the inside too or horse fence wire. The two wires perform together one to exclude raccoons from reaching in and horse fence for the bigger critters. Horse fence or welded wire have 2 x 4 mesh and are much heavier gauge than Hardware cloth.

If you guys are as dry at your house as it is at mine you might have to put up bipolar fence for hot wire. If hotwire doesnt have a good ground there will be little to no shock. it takes moisture in the ground to achieve that. There is one manufacturer that makes a tape fence with the positive and the negative on the upper and lower edges of the electric tape. Its great for horses.

You can do the same with regular hotwire Spaced an inch or so apart parallel. Hook up the hotwire as you would normally but then hook the ground post to a wire that runs along the fence too. The animal has to touch both wires to recieve a shock. It only takes a single shock to "train" them that the fence bites. Though they may test more than one spot.

What they do for Bears is smear a little tuna oil on the fence wire.... invite them in to check it out and Zap on the nose.... Once horses learn hot wire is there you can pretty much contain them with a string and flags For a short amount of time.... The flags are just little streamers to let people know the hot wire is there but they also remind the horses not to go near.

I am very sad over my goats... All three were about ten years old....

I have two fence jobs to do at the house before I can even think of more goats. One is Goat containment in the form of Cattle fencing. Now that TSC is in Norco I am getting cattle fence from them. They carry eight footers which cost the same per foot as the sixteen footers. I can get enough of them to redo my fence for my whole yard as well as make some eight foot long gates. Then above that will got the hotwire.

After that then i can consider the coop rebuild. Wich will have a stall for goaties.... I have to change my living arrangements when I do this though.... Probably two days at home and five at grandmas. I make plans but it takes a long time to follow through.

deb

Back
Top Bottom