San Diego Chicken meetup and Chat thread

She is an american nubian our gracie is purebreed.
That is interesting,Im going to research that and see what it means.But it states it on their papers.
Thank you for bring this up.I never even noticed that before on the papers.

Quote:

I never knew the difference either until after I bought Sable (Brownie) and was looking at the papers and on top it said American Nubian and my other ones said Purebred Nubian.

So I guess the difference is that somewhere down the line the "Americans" had an unregistered parent or some other breed in them; they are usually a lot cheaper than "Purebreds", Urban Acres sells her purebreds in milk for $400, but I don't know if you could get that for an American.

I don't see any problem with an "American" especially if it is just for family milking, but I do know a lot of the breeders and other people only want "Purebreds"... so you might want to reword your ad to say "Purebred American Nubian" or some such...

If I had the money I'd buy her from you along with that beautiful stand your hubby made.... sooooo nice!!!

aefe54b1-5552-3e1e.jpg

Brooder I made from 2 abandoned nightstands ;)
So Cool! Love re-purposing stuff. This is really cute too...:) I need to come up with a better brooder now.

For anyone having trouble with gophers, I had a major problem with them in January/February. I was desperate to get it under control before planting my garden because obviously, I didn't want to lose plants like I did last year. I tried non-toxic deterrent. I tried those vibrating stakes. I tried smoke bombs for gophers. Didn't work, didn't work, didn't work.

What DID work, finally, was the "Black Box" gopher trap I got at Home Depot. Gophers do not leave open holes they don't access. I went around and scraped my shoe over all the holes so I could find so I could see which ones opened back up quickest. That showed me where any active gopher was (Per google, gophers are solitary and only get together to breed. Babies leave moms relatively early and all go off their own way.) So whenever a hole would open back up, I would dig right there where the hole was, big enough so I could place the trap in it flat with the opening of the trap facing the tunnel. Then I covered it back up with dirt. The "irked" (BYC edited the p-word) gopher would go back to open up his hole and would walk right into the trap. I caught many within 20 minutes of setting the trap. A bar pops up so you can see when it's been set off and you press it down to release the dead gopher into the trash and reset the trap. Once I caught 3 in one day. It took about 2 months to completely erradicate the gopher population. I think I got about 12 gophers during that time. The traps aren't too expensive and are reusable. They also don't make the gopher bleed so there's no deterrent smell to unsuspecting gophers. I have to admit I got such a thrill seeing the silver bar sticking out of the ground. I hate destructive rodents!!

Thanks, I'm going to get a couple.... only problem is that we have hundreds of gopher holes!! I guess we'll just tackle one area at a time. I like the idea of stuffing the dead one back down the hole, I think that would really help. My neighbors got all the gophers cleared out then had moles move in. I don't know what's worse.

I have had great luck with eliminating gophers from my yard. Stick one or two hoses down active holes, turn water on full. Stand-by with one or two people, shovels in hand (or a terrier dog) and dispatch w/ blade. Works every time and your yard gets deeply watered, and you don't need to purchase any special equipment. Win, win, $ win.
Good luck!
Jules

Here is a link.http://dairygoatinfo.com/index.php?topic=4915.0
Looks like an americans ancestors did not make it into the record books before they closed them,therefore thier liniage is not 100% traceable where as purebreed is traced back to the original goats.We learn something new every day here.I dont see a huge problem with her being american, i guess one can get snobby over it.I dont see either where i wrote she was a purebreed on my craigs listing
I never knew the difference either until after I bought Sable (Brownie) and was looking at the papers and on top it said American Nubian and my other ones said Purebred Nubian.

So I guess the difference is that somewhere down the line the "Americans" had an unregistered parent or some other breed in them; they are usually a lot cheaper than "Purebreds", Urban Acres sells her purebreds in milk for $400, but I don't know if you could get that for an American.

I don't see any problem with an "American" especially if it is just for family milking, but I do know a lot of the breeders and other people only want "Purebreds"... so you might want to reword your ad to say "Purebred American Nubian" or some such...

If I had the money I'd buy her from you along with that beautiful stand your hubby made.... sooooo nice!!!

Last edited:
Here is a link.http://dairygoatinfo.com/index.php?topic=4915.0
Looks like an americans ancestors did not make it into the record books before they closed them,therefore thier liniage is not 100% traceable where as purebreed is traced back to the original goats.We learn something new every day here.I dont see a huge problem with her being american, i guess one can get snobby over it.I dont see either where i wrote she was a purebreed on my craigs listing
Quote:

I didn't mean to offer that there was a problem with Americans, (I love her, she is beautiful!) I just was bringing it up because I recently learned about it too... and I was curious if she was. I wasn't trying to say that your ad was wrong or anything, just that maybe you should put "American" so nobody gets the wrong idea.
smile.png

Quote:

Last edited:
what is every one doing for thier chickens with all this heat?
I watered 2x today and they are out there panting.poor things they look so unconfortable.

I hose it all down, bedding chickens roosts, only keeping care not to get any in the food. They hold their wings out and pant in order to keep cool. Since they don't sweat, I think having cool ground to walk around on helps.

When I do this in the guinea pen I really wet it down they hover around the puddles till its all soaked in and then they take a dirt bath. Um er damp dirt bath. My coop floors are Decomposed granite.

Ice cubes in the water and Freezing up some watermelon helps too.

deb

Back
Top Bottom