sebright thread

what do you get by breeding a gold roo with a silver hen and vice versa?
WVduckchick is correct the only thing I would add is only for f1 chick's after that (f2, f3, ext)they would be all mixed up (couldn't tell sex by color, couldn't tell if you would get silvers or Goldens no matter what color you breed to.

Boy or girl sebright
Sebright's have what is called hen feathering so they feather in like a hen (no difference in saddle feathers or any of their other feathers) the only difference between hen and roo is comb (from looks) I can't really see the pictures good to be able to be of help. Combs on a roo/ cockerel(under 1 year of age) comes in quicker then a hen/ pullet( under 1 year of age). I have noticed with mine most of my male's hatch with a little point at the top of where their combs will be (but not all will) I do get a couple males that don't, but non of my Female's have had it so far (so not a perfect sexing method).

These are notes that I took when I first researched silver and gold. Somewhat contradictory, but maybe someone else will chime in with what is correct

1. If the hen is silver, the male chicks will be silver, the female chicks will be gold. If the roo is silver, then all the chicks, male and female could be silver.

2. If the roo is gold, and hen is silver, then all hens will be gold and the roosters will be an off color of the two. Silver rooster/gold hen, only the hens will be silver.

I do know that the silver is passed to the opposite gender offspring.
then what makes buff laced sebrights?

then what makes buff laced sebrights?

Good question. I found one site that said they crossed in a buff OEGB to start buff sebrights. Found another site that is breeding lavenders, lilac, citron and buff. I'd guess they are all crossing with OEGB, Japanese, or other similar bantams.

I have ben told it is hard to breed sebrights is that true?

I just started last year, but haven't had any trouble at all! The girls may seem a little less submissive to their rooster than some of my other breeds, but they do submit. I've incubated several batches, and not had any major issues... nothing that I would contribute to the breed itself.

Anyone else have any difficulties?

Back
Top Bottom