September Hatch-A-Long

Definitely me! I am running on coffee right about now
tongue.png

Here's a pic of our very first fluffy butts, now in the brooder! We have two more that are drying out, and one that has to be the world's slowest hatcher... a BCM that is mostly zipped, but just hanging out in the shell for some reason. We are so excited!!!

So I finally found my notes and checked when my next 12 eggs was due to hatch. Then are on day 15 so I candled quickly and found 3 of 6 from one hen were clear but the other 3 were looking good and from the second hen all 6 were looking great. Hopefully all 9 hatch. Their daddy died on the road just after I put them in the incubator so I really want these babies.

ohhh, that is sad... sorry about your roo! Glad some of your eggs look good... not long now!!

Me too I am going for 100 turkeys next year! 50 Guineas and 100 chickens!!

BUT SHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhh!

Do not tell my wife...let me break it to her..................................................sometime in the future.......like next september

Wow! Better to just do it and it will be too late when she catches on
wink.png

I haven't hatched any turkeys or guineas ( or geese or quail) yet, but I want to try! I am thinking about how I can build a cabinet incubator so I am ready for Spring! I should have plenty of my own Ancona Duck and Serama Chicken eggs... can't wait to swap eggs!!

Hi everyone! I think I still qualify for this thread.
hmm.png
I had a Broody Hen due to hatch 11 eggs on Sept 8th, and of those only one chick survived.

However, I now have a second Broody Hen ("B2") who has been sitting on 10 eggs for 6 full Days now, due to hatch on Sept 29th! My first two batches of chicks EVER, due in the same month!

As I said, today is Day 7 and on Wednesday I am going to candle the eggs. This is where I went wrong last time. I thought "Nature knew best" and didn't candle them at all, only to have 2 explode all over the remaining eggs, killing the lot except for one. I won't be making the same mistake twice! I am intending to candle on Day 9 and again on Day 17 just to make sure everything is ok.

Wish me luck, second time around!

- Krista

Ok, now up to two Icelandic chicks and two BA X EE chicks with two more of each pipping. I'm a little worried about one of the cross chicks. Part of what I think is the yolk is still stuck to the inside of the egg. The chick looks fine but the other hatched eggs didn't have the yolk looking thing inside them. Is that normal or did that one come out too early?

Ok, now up to two Icelandic chicks and two BA X EE chicks with two more of each pipping. I'm a little worried about one of the cross chicks. Part of what I think is the yolk is still stuck to the inside of the egg. The chick looks fine but the other hatched eggs didn't have the yolk looking thing inside them. Is that normal or did that one come out too early?
It needs to stay in the egg until its yolk is absorbed!

This batch is making me crazy! No pips, no rocking or anything! Don't they know they are due tomorrow morning at 8am? Ive never had them all wait till the due date to hatch. There's always a rooster that's born early! Every hatch I've done the em early one is a roo lol

Back
Top Bottom