What is difference between scratch and peck feeds vs regular chicken feed?

Yes, good idea. I need to find some time to go there and do some reading. Been too busy playing with chickies!

Is there anything in particular you are looking for it to have or not have? None of their feeds are organic/non-gmo (at least where I was) but a few months before I moved they started carrying some of another brand (probably Purina since they became a dealer of that too).

Is there anything in particular you are looking for it to have or not have? None of their feeds are organic/non-gmo (at least where I was) but a few months before I moved they started carrying some of another brand (probably Purina since they became a dealer of that too).
What store are you guys talking about? Is it one local?

I haven't had my chicks long, only since June. I got a bag of food when I got them and have since bought only one other bag of food. When I went shopping, the Southern States store had listed their hours incorrectly and they were closed when I got there. So, I went to TSC. Most of their feed seemed to have fairly old dates and I didn't feel very confident shopping there - empty shelves, things placed here and there, not in their correct places. I have heard people say they didn't care for the Dumor brand, that the birds didn't thrive on it. So you think that is true in general for store brands? My chicks aren't eating me out of house and home yet, so I haven't checked out the Southern States brand and the dates on their feed. But, is a store brand a good option?

I haven't had my chicks long, only since June. I got a bag of food when I got them and have since bought only one other bag of food. When I went shopping, the Southern States store had listed their hours incorrectly and they were closed when I got there. So, I went to TSC. Most of their feed seemed to have fairly old dates and I didn't feel very confident shopping there - empty shelves, things placed here and there, not in their correct places. I have heard people say they didn't care for the Dumor brand, that the birds didn't thrive on it. So you think that is true in general for store brands? My chicks aren't eating me out of house and home yet, so I haven't checked out the Southern States brand and the dates on their feed. But, is a store brand a good option?
Yes store brands are usually fine.
I do not feed a national name brand feed.
I prefer a local made in Texas feed.

I guess I am trying for find something that won't be a problem! TSC seemed to have old stuff. On here I have read to use the bag of feed within 6 weeks, at TSC they had bags that were already 2-3 months past their date. One brand, possibly an organic one, didn't have a date, only code. So, I am trying ti figure out what I should look for. At some point someone said that they bought feed based on the ingredients. I don't really even know what exact ingredients to look for. I have read so much from this group that has been helpful, but also overwhelming! LOL I would ask that person who said something about ingredients, but I can't find the post.

I guess I am trying for find something that won't be a problem! TSC seemed to have old stuff. On here I have read to use the bag of feed within 6 weeks, at TSC they had bags that were already 2-3 months past their date. One brand, possibly an organic one, didn't have a date, only code. So, I am trying ti figure out what I should look for. At some point someone said that they bought feed based on the ingredients. I don't really even know what exact ingredients to look for. I have read so much from this group that has been helpful, but also overwhelming! LOL I would ask that person who said something about ingredients, but I can't find the post.
As long as you feed a COMPLETE fresh feed and do not feed a lot of treats you shouldn't have a problem.
People tend to over feed treats and that is one good way to help problems start.

Back
Top Bottom