She watched in utter trepidation as the flames fell, leaving only scorched ground between the innocent Inhuman's and Mapleshade's malignant wrath.
There was a rush of black around her as she stood, her feet practically welded to the pavement. The children...no...this is war! Children shouldn't fight in war!
She reached up suddenly, and ripped the mask from her face, her thick, long chestnut hair falling over her armor. For a moment, she hesitated, wondering what the consequences would be for her actions, surely a fatal wound or even death. But she flung herself into the heat of battle, no longer bound to Mapleshade by her own fear, and struck down one of her own comrades' without a moment's hesitation.
She would not let Mapleshade destroy the lives of the Inhuman's any longer, even if it were the last thing she did.

~

Wolfram took a trembling step backwards. There was no way this was happening. No way. He wouldn't survive a second battle, none of them would. But he scrambled for a stray gun nonetheless, within seconds the echoes of gunshots filling the clearing once more.
Brisa raised her gun, aimed, and fired, and the kick was stronger than she had remembered. I’m tiring. All of us are. She fired again, a second Pure member falling, and hated herself for taking a life. Mapleshade has turned so many people into monsters. She aimed at a girl with long, flowing chestnut hair but was stopped when the stranger took down a Pure member, killing him quickly and efficiently. But she is a Pure member. She’s dressed like one anyway. Brisa’s exhausted brain couldn’t come up with a good explanation for this so she just turned away and kept firing at the approaching Pure.

She watched in utter trepidation as the flames fell, leaving only scorched ground between the innocent Inhuman's and Mapleshade's malignant wrath.
There was a rush of black around her as she stood, her feet practically welded to the pavement. The children...no...this is war! Children shouldn't fight in war!
She reached up suddenly, and ripped the mask from her face, her thick, long chestnut hair falling over her armor. For a moment, she hesitated, wondering what the consequences would be for her actions, surely a fatal wound or even death. But she flung herself into the heat of battle, no longer bound to Mapleshade by her own fear, and struck down one of her own comrades' without a moment's hesitation.
She would not let Mapleshade destroy the lives of the Inhuman's any longer, even if it were the last thing she did.

~

Wolfram took a trembling step backwards. There was no way this was happening. No way. He wouldn't survive a second battle, none of them would. But he scrambled for a stray gun nonetheless, within seconds the echoes of gunshots filling the clearing once more.

Toby had an overwhelming urge to curl into a ball and cry. He couldn't make his fingers cooperate, and just held the gun pointed to the back of a Pure members head. He dropped the gun, slowly sitting down next to it. He closed his eyes, placing his hands on the ground next to him. He was exhausted, but tried to focus on the darkness around him. He was too tired to concentrate on keeping his shadow creatures in check, but he had something better. A dark figure stepped out of the shadows, wielding a large sword. This one was different than the other creatures, this one looked human. No tendrils floating around, no glowing eyes. He wasn't mangled like the others. He twirled his sword around, and gave a quick nod to Toby, not that Toby would be able to see him with his eyes closed. He slashed at the Pure, bullets flying through him. He kept flickering in and out of existence, but that didn't seem to deter him. Occasionally, he would solidify to take a bullet, stopping it from hitting Toby or someone else on their side. Everytime he did that though, Toby would shudder, and make a quiet whimpering sound.

Bleddyn had found her way into her mother's bruised arms, though it was unclear who was holding who. Despite Toby's through first aid efforts, it was clear to them both that Ash was treading a very fine rope at the edge of consciousness.
"He's really gone?" Ash's query had become a repetitive echo into her daughter's shoulder. Her trying to realize that her husband was dead was just unraveling that thinning strand drastically.
"Yeah," Bleddyn affirmed simply, trying to derive comfort from her mother's shirt.
"Did you get to talk to him?"
"No."
"Did he...okay." Ash began to straighten up with purpose, but Bleddyn collapsed forward against her. Ash staggered and her vision blinked out briefly, but she managed to remain upright.
"Mom, I'm..." Bleddyn couldn't continue and absolutely lost it.
"Shhh, shhh, shhh. It's okay, sweetie. It's okay." Ash draped her hurting arms around her shuddering daughter and drew her close.
All Ash wanted to do was dwell on and drown in the fact that she'd just lost her best friend, her soulmate, her husband, her Connor.
But she couldn't. Not now. The most precious thing left from their shattered world needed her desperately.
She was still rocking her tormented little girl when the wavering perimeter of flames abruptly sparked out.
"Okay, Dyn?" Willing the abused muscles in her arms to cooperate, she gently pressed her palms to Bleddyn's tearstained cheeks and lifted her face so that their gazes met.
That's Dad's nickname. Bleddyn's attention was wholly captured then.
"Dyn, listen to me. Your father...he wants you to stay here. For him. And I need you here. Alright? We're going to do our best to stay here for him, for all of them, okay?"
Brisa raised her gun, aimed, and fired, and the kick was stronger than she had remembered. I’m tiring. All of us are. She fired again, a second Pure member falling, and hated herself for taking a life. Mapleshade has turned so many people into monsters. She aimed at a girl with long, flowing chestnut hair but was stopped when the stranger took down a Pure member, killing him quickly and efficiently. But she is a Pure member. She’s dressed like one anyway. Brisa’s exhausted brain couldn’t come up with a good explanation for this so she just turned away and kept firing at the approaching Pure.
Wolfram dropped the gun as the kick almost paralyzed him with pain, and it felt with a clatter. Hissing, his hand came down to grasp his throbbing ribs, willing for the pain to stop. He lunged for the gun as the clearing was flooded even further with black dressed figures.
A girl, her mask seemingly having been ripped from her face, with chestnut hair and blazing blue eyes came face to face with him. But she didn't attack, only stared for a moment, and blinked.
He realized then that she was probably his age, or younger. "You shouldn't be fighting in this. You're to young."
"So are you." She shrugged, and whirled around, her foot coming up and slamming into a Pure's chest, her hand grasping a knife from her belt, and slamming into the Pure's throat without hesitation. She glanced at Wolfram, shaking her hair from her face, before turning on heel and vanishing into the battle.
I don't really know what just happened. But I don't really care, she's on our side, it seems.
Wolfram ducked and slipped through the battlefield, keeping low and skirting around the edges until he reached Bleddyn and Ash, dispatching a invading Pure member with a wince. He glanced at the mother and daughter, a pang hitting him. They both had just lost someone so utterly dear to them, and now were being forced to fight again.
He dropped beside the dead Pure, pulling the gun from the limp hand.
He didn't look up at Bleddyn and Ash as he spoke, pulling a knife from the Pure's belt and launching it at a approaching dark figure. "There's no time for strategy," he panted. "It's either kill, or be killed." He shrugged, looking at them now. "Take these." He picked up his gun and the dead Pure's gun, holding them up to Ash and Bleddyn. "And please, be careful."

"You've been shot in the leg. You don't look very fine to me." Toby said. "I've already done the best I can for the others, so right now you're the one at risk of dying. Sit back down, standing is going to make you bleed more."
Brisa followed Toby over to Peter, feeling useless. “Is there anything I can do to help?” She asked worriedly.
Toby looked around. "Uhhh... actually, yes, if you could use these-" he handed her a pair of scissors, "-to snip off a large strip of fabric, preferably clean, from one of the Pure's uniforms, I'd appreciate that. If it's too weird or you aren't comfortable with it, I can get it."
"But.. but-" Peter protested. However, the ground was looking more inviting by the second. He sat down clumsily, letting Toby wrap his leg.

Toby looked up at Brisa and Indigo. "Smart." He said. He took the strip of fabric from Brisa. "Thanks," he wrapped it around Peter's leg. "There we go. This should stop the bleeding, with no risk to your leg." He stood up, feeling warm blood trickle down his arm. He was so focused on everyone else, he forgot about his own injury. He stared at it for a moment, then pulled his sweater off, using it to wipe up some of the blood. He grabbed a roll of duct tape, and tore a large piece off with his teeth. He quickly wrapped it around his arm and pulled his sweater back on, shivering.
She watched in silent horror as the flame wall in front of her flickered lethally, threatening to cease at any moment. Mapleshade slunk in front of her, ears pinned flat to her skull. "Stupid wall," she was muttering.
She crept closer, watching the Inhumans on the otherside on the wall. To her, most of them looked very young. To young.
She was sure the dark haired girl she watched approach a fallen Pure had to be only fourteen or fifteen. And the boy the girl was hovering over seemed to be the same age. Of course, she saw the older Inhumans she could name, River, Ash, Misty...and Taylor, Wolfram and Lily. But they were adults.
The rest were nothing more then children like herself, forced to fight in a war they wanted no part in.

~

Wolfram didn't like being high off of solid ground, though he supposed if one were to really think about it, it was rather odd, considering he was a cat, known for their precise and elite tree-scaling abilities.
He was throughly relieved when Jessi landed above the hole, and he scrambled down her wing quickly, wincing at the sharp daggers of pain.
But then he fell to a halt. Bodies littered the ground, and, almost like a bullet driven into his chest, he spotted the little Faun laying lifeless on the pavement. She was only a child! She deserved your mercy, not your guns and knives and darts!
He drew his gaze away from the small, broken body, the feeling of suffocation clawing him, even though now he was free from the lung-burning confines of underground.
He noticed Taylor was struggling, and for some reason he could figure out why, until he saw the burning flame wall creating a sanctuary around them.
He saw Bleddyn, but didn't dare approach her. What would he say, anyway? It would be useless to ask if she is alright, because no one is alright now.
Instead, slowly he neared the Faun's body, and sank to his knees beside her. He lifted the thin wrist, pleading for even the weakest of pulses, but no life force pumped against her skin like his own did.
Slowly, he rose, turning to Taylor. "It's fight or flight now, Tay-Tay."
"I hate that nickname, you know," she panted, a weak smile on her face.
"Yeah, I know."
But before either of them could say anything more, the fire wall vanished.
Toby had an overwhelming urge to curl into a ball and cry. He couldn't make his fingers cooperate, and just held the gun pointed to the back of a Pure members head. He dropped the gun, slowly sitting down next to it. He closed his eyes, placing his hands on the ground next to him. He was exhausted, but tried to focus on the darkness around him. He was too tired to concentrate on keeping his shadow creatures in check, but he had something better. A dark figure stepped out of the shadows, wielding a large sword. This one was different than the other creatures, this one looked human. No tendrils floating around, no glowing eyes. He wasn't mangled like the others. He twirled his sword around, and gave a quick nod to Toby, not that Toby would be able to see him with his eyes closed. He slashed at the Pure, bullets flying through him. He kept flickering in and out of existence, but that didn't seem to deter him. Occasionally, he would solidify to take a bullet, stopping it from hitting Toby or someone else on their side. Everytime he did that though, Toby would shudder, and make a quiet whimpering sound.
Peter stumbled to his feet. "Ah, frick," he muttered, "I hate these guys," he said, shooting a look at Toby. "You ok? Assuming that's yours, nice shadow thingy, re-" he abruptly disappeared, appearing on top of a hooded Pure's head, knocking them to the ground. He then appeared again, this time with a branch, which he used to whack another Pure in the face.
"What was I saying? Something, currently." Peter said between gasps, again beside Toby.

Wolfram dropped the gun as the kick almost paralyzed him with pain, and it felt with a clatter. Hissing, his hand came down to grasp his throbbing ribs, willing for the pain to stop. He lunged for the gun as the clearing was flooded even further with black dressed figures.
A girl, her mask seemingly having been ripped from her face, with chestnut hair and blazing blue eyes came face to face with him. But she didn't attack, only stared for a moment, and blinked.
He realized then that she was probably his age, or younger. "You shouldn't be fighting in this. You're to young."
"So are you." She shrugged, and whirled around, her foot coming up and slamming into a Pure's chest, her hand grasping a knife from her belt, and slamming into the Pure's throat without hesitation. She glanced at Wolfram, shaking her hair from her face, before turning on heel and vanishing into the battle.
I don't really know what just happened. But I don't really care, she's on our side, it seems.
Wolfram ducked and slipped through the battlefield, keeping low and skirting around the edges until he reached Bleddyn and Ash, dispatching a invading Pure member with a wince. He glanced at the mother and daughter, a pang hitting him. They both had just lost someone so utterly dear to them, and now were being forced to fight again.
He dropped beside the dead Pure, pulling the gun from the limp hand.
He didn't look up at Bleddyn and Ash as he spoke, pulling a knife from the Pure's belt and launching it at a approaching dark figure. "There's no time for strategy," he panted. "It's either kill, or be killed." He shrugged, looking at them now. "Take these." He picked up his gun and the dead Pure's gun, holding them up to Ash and Bleddyn. "And please, be careful."
Just as Brisa was about to pull the trigger on yet another Pure member she was thrown backwards by what felt like a sledgehammer ramming into her chest above her heart. The wind knocked was out of her as she hit the ground, and she rolled weakly onto her stomach, gasping for air. Thank goodness for the bulletproof vest. She thought, her ribs screaming from the movement. Finally getting enough air in her lungs, she sat up and struggled to her feet, seeing her friends fighting furiously around her. In her momentary lapse of concentration the man who had shot her had reached her and was hovering over her. She locked her gaze with him and saw something she hadn’t expected; tears were brimming in his eyes. He turned away after a long moment, shaking his head, and threw himself back into battle. She stumbled a few steps backwards in disbelief that she was still alive but returned to the present when a bullet whizzed by her head, and she returned to the fight. I guess he couldn’t force himself to kill me when he was looking me in the eyes.

"But.. but-" Peter protested. However, the ground was looking more inviting by the second. He sat down clumsily, letting Toby wrap his leg.

Peter stumbled to his feet. "Ah, frick," he muttered, "I hate these guys," he said, shooting a look at Toby. "You ok? Assuming that's yours, nice shadow thingy, re-" he abruptly disappeared, appearing on top of a hooded Pure's head, knocking them to the ground. He then appeared again, this time with a branch, which he used to whack another Pure in the face.
"What was I saying? Something, currently." Peter said between gasps, again beside Toby.

Both Alpha and the shadow man stepped between Peter and Toby. "Shhhh... it's okay. He won't hurt me," Toby said softly. He spoke quietly, and it was hard to hear him over the sound of the war. The shadow man moved away, embedding his sword into the nearest enemy. "I'm... fine."

Both Alpha and the shadow man stepped between Peter and Toby. "Shhhh... it's okay. He won't hurt me," Toby said softly. He spoke quietly, and it was hard to hear him over the sound of the war. The shadow man moved away, embedding his sword into the nearest enemy. "I'm... fine."
"Woah!" Peter backed up as the shadow stepped over to him. "Uh, ok, I'm just gonna.." he vanished again, reappearing behind a Pure member, and promptly hitting them with his branch.

"Woah!" Peter backed up as the shadow stepped over to him. "Uh, ok, I'm just gonna.." he vanished again, reappearing behind a Pure member, and promptly hitting them with his branch.

"I'm... sorry." Toby choked out. It was getting harder to speak and keep the shadow man here. He wasn't sure how much longer he could hold it, and he was shaking uncontrollably.

"I'm... sorry." Toby choked out. It was getting harder to speak and keep the shadow man here. He wasn't sure how much longer he could hold it, and he was shaking uncontrollably.
But Peter was already gone. He appeared several minutes later, though, having branch-slapped some more Pure soldiers. A bullet-proof vest was draped over his hoodie.
He swayed and tried not to fall to the ground. "Hey," he panted, "is it just me, or are there more of these... these.. these..." he flapped a hand at the Pure.

But Peter was already gone. He appeared several minutes later, though, having branch-slapped some more Pure soldiers. A bullet-proof vest was draped over his hoodie.
He swayed and tried not to fall to the ground. "Hey," he panted, "is it just me, or are there more of these... these.. these..." he flapped a hand at the Pure.

"There's... definitely more. Many... many.. more." Toby mumbled. The more he spoke, the more the shadow man flickered. He moved faster, desperate to kill as many people as he could before he vanished. "I can't... I can't... " Toby whimpered.

Back
Top Bottom