★help!!! What Is This????★

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by snaphu, Aug 22, 2011.

1. snaphu

snaphu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2010
    Langley
    I have an Australorpe hen with a soft large looking growth below her cloaca!!! [​IMG] I just noticed it yesterday... she is eating, socializing like there is nothing wrong with her! I've now isolated her :[

[​IMG]

any suggestions, diagnoses, ideas are greatly appreciated!!!

thanks in advance
    Sue

2. Redcatcher

Redcatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    At My Desk!
    It looks like an old wound to me that's almost healed. It's hard to tell from the photo.

3. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Looks like it could be an abscess from an old wound...I'm not sure what to do...maybe warm compresses and an oral antibiotic? Can you get her to a vet? Hopefully someone will chime in with more advice.

4. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    I agree, it looks as though it may have been something before, but it seems -other than a little unsightly- that she's fine. There's no blood or anything, but still just watch it to make sure it's not something more.

5. SimplySplendidSilkies

SimplySplendidSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    Adairsville, GA
    I really have no clue but a warm soak would not hurt. A chickens temp is around 105 so make the water pretty warm. I would also give her a boiled egg with some vits and elyctrolytes in the water. Is it squishy? It almost looks like it could be lanced in the one off white oval on the right side. I would say she needs some kind of antibotic.

6. snaphu

Jun 18, 2010
    Langley
    thanks everyone for your ideas and suggestions! do you think she might be "egg-bound"???

7. Firefighter Chick

Firefighter Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Southeast Minnesota
    i wouldn't say egg bound. does the wound feel hot to the touch (hotter than the rest of the chicken?) if so, it's infected and should possibly be lanced (if there's an abcess) and treated with antibiotics. I agree with the warm bath.

8. snaphu

Jun 18, 2010
    Langley
    Quote:yep... not "egg bound" because when I checked on her tonight in her isolation crate, she had layed an egg... [​IMG]

9. ChickenSahib

ChickenSahib Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2011
    Hayward
    If you do lance it, post some pictures!

10. Pickaduck

Pickaduck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2011
    Alabama
    Quote:I agree.. it looks like it should be lanced.. but at least try the warm soak and antibiotics! Please keep us updated!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by