➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

:gigI wonder what super suburban people do in their spare time...while we play with preserved dead things

Really tho?! :lau id be so bored!

Wow! Neat.

Thanks!

Hi all! Sorry I’ve been mia again. :rolleyes: Love-hate relationship with summer!

I finished my outdoor hutch! ....more than a month ago. :oops: But the quailies love it! I’m glad it didn’t take me any longer to move them outside. I forgot how awfully hot it gets in the garage in summer. :hmm
View attachment 1847214
It’s 8’x4’ (‘twas supposed to be only 3’ deep because my arms are short like the rest of me, but I messed up!). All along the back is a 12” sandbox (so 1/4 of the total area).
I had to fence out the bottom to stop my silly dog from terrorizing them from underneath. :he
The kids can collect the eggs and give them treats all by themselves, and so far they’ve always managed to catch them again when they escape while the door is open. :gig
I ended up culling the last of my males because they were so loud they kept me awake at night...and I don’t want to risk keeping neighbors awake! Wishing I had a bigger yard once again... :lol:

Nice to meetcha and very nice hutch! :love

No. It appeared to have died right after morning check and was ripe this evening. To the compost pile. Which hasn't heated up with the coop cleanout material. Imagine a blister covering most of the sternum. No idea how I missed this. All appear fine but the runt who doesn't move much. Something is wrong.

Anyway, the white ones are smaller than the parents and are 8 weeks old. Smaller than the jumbos, so they don't make the breeding program. Jumbos are 4 weeks. Can't imagine them getting larger, but …! 4 week old quail almost the size of the 8 week old chickens.
Could it have been like an injury like he cut himself?

Make a shadow box, i think itll b a nice way to remember the pretty ones and some pretty eggs in the center too the silver body piece could make the nest in the centerfor the eggs(idk?) Ill have to toy w it. Ill b sure to share. Its really simple. Thought yall might enjoy.

I saw some really cool shadow boxes online when you google quail egg shadow box or whatever and so I’ve been saving “unique” eggs like I have some 17-19g quail eggs, a couple that are round like marbles, some that I just like the color etc.

Then I started thinking um... as much as I love my pretty color quail I can’t keep EVERY quail I will have to process some of the prettier ones, so I start a hatch from their eggs and then process the parents (not all I keep the ones I really love) but I couldn’t stand to toss those pretty colors and I wanted to remember them more than just photos... so yeah we looked up how to easily preserve some wings to make shadow boxes... I’m still working on my first box but I’ve got maybe 5 wings or so all done and the egg collection.

I guess it is kinda like playing with dead things... lol or “playing with your food” lol cause I mean I do have about 10lbs of meat in the freezer from my quail and when I don’t know what to make for dinner I just toss 6-7 quail in the crock pot - done!

I saw some really cool shadow boxes online when you google quail egg shadow box or whatever and so I’ve been saving “unique” eggs like I have some 17-19g quail eggs, a couple that are round like marbles, some that I just like the color etc.

Then I started thinking um... as much as I love my pretty color quail I can’t keep EVERY quail I will have to process some of the prettier ones, so I start a hatch from their eggs and then process the parents (not all I keep the ones I really love) but I couldn’t stand to toss those pretty colors and I wanted to remember them more than just photos... so yeah we looked up how to easily preserve some wings to make shadow boxes... I’m still working on my first box but I’ve got maybe 5 wings or so all done and the egg collection.

I guess it is kinda like playing with dead things... lol or “playing with your food” lol cause I mean I do have about 10lbs of meat in the freezer from my quail and when I don’t know what to make for dinner I just toss 6-7 quail in the crock pot - done!
Please show us the box once you finish it.

Back
Top Bottom