➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

Woo hoo!:wee:pop:fl:celebrate

4 days!!! :sick:sick:sick
I change the towels in my brooder at least twice a day.. would be easily double that if I had more than 11 quailies in there.
Not me. 4 days was pushing it, but I'm not changing every day. It's just not really necessary in my opinion. Every 2-3 days is the goal really. The brooder is farely large though so it's spread out. It's a several hundred gallon rubbermaid trough that is about 5 ft long and 2 ft wide. Once they are big enough for bedding, I'll put some pine shavings in, which should help add more surface area and moisture absorption as well. That way I sould be able to maintain a cleaning cycle of 2-3 days even as they grow. I'm definitely not a spotless type. When we brooded 5 chickens in a 4'x2' brooder I built, we only cleaned it weekly, but we were able to have pine shavings in from day one. We brooded them until 8 weeks on a weekly cleaning cycle.
Again, that's what I do for bedding, we do clean waterers daily and feeders often and as necessary. The birds are certainly not trudging through piles of muck and consuming contaminated food and water.

Woo hoo!:wee:pop:fl:celebrate

Not me. 4 days was pushing it, but I'm not changing every day. It's just not really necessary in my opinion. Every 2-3 days is the goal really. The brooder is farely large though so it's spread out. It's a several hundred gallon rubbermaid trough that is about 5 ft long and 2 ft wide. Once they are big enough for bedding, I'll put some pine shavings in, which should help add more surface area and moisture absorption as well. That way I sould be able to maintain a cleaning cycle of 2-3 days even as they grow. I'm definitely not a spotless type. When we brooded 5 chickens in a 4'x2' brooder I built, we only cleaned it weekly, but we were able to have pine shavings in from day one. We brooded them until 8 weeks on a weekly cleaning cycle.
Again, that's what I do for bedding, we do clean waterers daily and feeders often and as necessary. The birds are certainly not trudging through piles of muck and consuming contaminated food and water.
While I have yet to experience quails, I have brooded duckling, heritage and meat poult, and chicks. I too have a big enough brooder to not need constant cleaning.
If I used paper towels or pads, that would change everything! I used towels for a sick hen recently. :sick They were changed constantly!

Back
Top Bottom