āž” Quail Hatch AlongšŸ„š

Well, I have more quail.

A friend of mine has pancreatitis, which is super sucky. She doesn't have a lot of help with her birds, so she decided she wants to cut back for now. Some of what she has are quail. So, I bought from her two pharoah hens to add to my lavender breeding group to make some splits with outside genetics, a white young of unknown gender, and two Egyptian hens :) So I got my Egyptians.

Oh, and one young Tibetan Tuxedo, which I had to take because it's been the friend of a peachick, which she also gave me.

Now I have 11
C278B87A-4034-4059-A7F4-D2BFED82DF06.jpeg
B111C872-10D1-4B43-AB74-2DF44C224C4D.jpeg
87BE4A84-CBF5-4068-814D-1DE2EB33432D.jpeg

@Kiki I have a yeller

Ugh, one of my Falb Fee hens (and of course it's the literal only hen that's homozygous for Fee) is a huge bully. I had her separated from the males with her sister that got attacked, but she reopened her sister's head wound. I thought she only did that because birds peck at wounds. So she got taken out and put on her own. Today, I tried to put her in with her with the new hens in a pen and she immediately went after one of them and bloodied up her nose.

So now she's on her own and she's going to stay that way. She's started laying, so I'm going to toss a male in with her so she gets mated, get eggs hatched, and then probably eat her, honestly.

Hi there! I'm brand new to this forum and hatching! I'm hatching Coturnix quail and so far 2 have hatched and I can see at least 2 more pipped. I have 12 eggs and tomorrow is day 18 so I was surprised they started hatching this evening. Not sure if this is the place to ask... But how long does it normally take chicks to fluff up? My first chick hatched about 5 hours ago and still isn't fully fluffed. Actually the second chick, which only hatch an hour or two ago already seems more fluffy... Not sure if it's normal?! Also, I realise this is a terrible picture, but it's hard to get a good picture of "Popcorn". That first chick also will not stop peeping. Loudly. I hope it'll be ok and go to sleep if I do!

Attachments

• 15978964685535623471306155167908.jpg
    15978964685535623471306155167908.jpg
    562.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Hi there! I'm brand new to this forum and hatching! I'm hatching Coturnix quail and so far 2 have hatched and I can see at least 2 more pipped. I have 12 eggs and tomorrow is day 18 so I was surprised they started hatching this evening. Not sure if this is the place to ask... But how long does it normally take chicks to fluff up? My first chick hatched about 5 hours ago and still isn't fully fluffed. Actually the second chick, which only hatch an hour or two ago already seems more fluffy... Not sure if it's normal?! Also, I realise this is a terrible picture, but it's hard to get a good picture of "Popcorn".
Welcome! You can put the two early birds in your brooder to fluff up under heat. It's not so humid there. Is the first hatchling sticky-feeling? Are they different enough that you feel sure you can tell them apart?

Welcome! You can put the two early birds in your brooder to fluff up under heat. It's not so humid there. Is the first hatchling sticky-feeling? Are they different enough that you feel sure you can tell them apart?
I haven't felt the chick yet, I haven't wanted to open the incubator because there are other eggs pipped and I've heard that you're supposed to leave it shut, if possible while eggs are hatching. I can definitely tell the two chicks apart, the first one is lighter colored and the second is really dark and a little bigger. The first one also still has part of it's umbilical cord still hanging on... I don't know if that's normal or if she just popped out of her egg so fast she wasn't quite ready. Like I said, it's my first time so I have no idea what's "normal".

Ugh, one of my Falb Fee hens (and of course it's the literal only hen that's homozygous for Fee) is a huge bully. I had her separated from the males with her sister that got attacked, but she reopened her sister's head wound. I thought she only did that because birds peck at wounds. So she got taken out and put on her own. Today, I tried to put her in with her with the new hens in a pen and she immediately went after one of them and bloodied up her nose.

So now she's on her own and she's going to stay that way. She's started laying, so I'm going to toss a male in with her so she gets mated, get eggs hatched, and then probably eat her, honestly.

Hopefully she does not scalp the male, before he can mate with her.
And are you sure, that you want to breed these aggressive genes?

My little bug unexpectedly passed away tonight. I found her this morning, lying dead in her hay :(. I think she passed away due to her poor genetics. I know that I did everything I could to help her grow. She was thriving and happy. She had a short but good life and lots of friends. Rest in peace little bug.

Attachments

• IMG_20200712_163106.jpg
    IMG_20200712_163106.jpg
    548.9 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom