➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

Question for all you experienced hatchers: how long do you normally let the incubator run after eggs have hatched and there are still a few eggs left? I've had 7 out of 12 hatch. The first 5 were day 17, second batch of 2 were last night (day 18). And now it's the evening of day 19. It had looked like maybe one more had pipped early today but I haven't seen anymore movement from it. 😟 When do you normally call it a day? And do you just throw out unhatched eggs or do you open them up to see what stage the chick was at/if it was fertilized?

Question for all you experienced hatchers: how long do you normally let the incubator run after eggs have hatched and there are still a few eggs left? I've had 7 out of 12 hatch. The first 5 were day 17, second batch of 2 were last night (day 18). And now it's the evening of day 19. It had looked like maybe one more had pipped early today but I haven't seen anymore movement from it. 😟 When do you normally call it a day? And do you just throw out unhatched eggs or do you open them up to see what stage the chick was at/if it was fertilized?
General response is 48 hours after first one hatches. Unless you have a staggered hatch going or cold spots in the incubator. After 48 hours, even if you help them, they generally don't survive long.

General response is 48 hours after first one hatches. Unless you have a staggered hatch going or cold spots in the incubator. After 48 hours, even if you help them, they generally don't survive long.
Alright. I think I'll let it go one more night then and check in the morning. Was hoping for 6-8 babies... Would have had 7 but 2 unfortunately died. :( I guess I will have to be content with these 5 for now.

Attachments

• IMG-20200821-WA0007.jpeg
    IMG-20200821-WA0007.jpeg
    425.9 KB · Views: 4
Alright. I think I'll let it go one more night then and check in the morning. Was hoping for 6-8 babies... Would have had 7 but 2 unfortunately died. :( I guess I will have to be content with these 5 for now.
Gives you a reason to hatch more. ;)
Hatching is an art. The more you do it, the better you get.

For me if they are pipped and I can still see them moving but not making progress or whatever the issue is I usually help them if they’ve been pipped awhile I’ve had to also kill babies because I helped them also but I’ve left eggs to the end of day 19 at the most myself but I think others may do differently

If you feel comfortable messing with the eggs, I say go ahead and candle/open. I hate waiting on eggs to hatch only to discover they were late quitters or died pipping. If they are at hatch time or over, you should see movement in the air cell if the chick is alive. If there's movement I put the egg back and make sure humidity is good. If I don't see any movement or hear any response to tapping on the egg I make an opening into the air cell; I haven't yet had one that was still alive but no movement/response.

i was surprised this morning to see that a second button had hatched! Both have been moved to the brooder and the turner put back in for now. new incubator due to arrive today so once I get it up and running, I will transfer the pheasant eggs over and then i can take the turner out without worry

Back
Top Bottom