➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

The day you set is day zero, and every 24 hrs that passes is a day. So if you set Tuesday at 6pm that's "day zero", and Wednesday at 6pm officially competes day one because they eggs have officially lived in the incubator for 24 hrs, or one complete day. Lockdown will begin After 336 hours, or 14 compete days in the incubator.
My understanding is early hatches mean the incubator was too hot, late hatches mean the incubator was too cold.

As long as the whole batch doesn't hatch on day 16, it is just normal, when a few early hatchers or laties occure.

Nature is no digital machine.

I woke to a mess of babies this morning. 11 more hatched, including this little turtle that was running around with her shell on her butt. I had to help her out.

20200828_073608.jpg 20200828_073619.jpg

But it's not day 17 until this evening. And the only two that didn't hatch were fully formed, externally pipped, and had absorbed their yolk. I tapped, listened, opened around the pip a tiny bit to confirm, then took them out and they were already gone.

I think I'll try bringing down the temp a little more next time since it seems like they all hatched on the early side and the two I lost just couldn't get out.

I woke to a mess of babies this morning. 11 more hatched, including this little turtle that was running around with her shell on her butt. I had to help her out.

View attachment 2309438View attachment 2309439

But it's not day 17 until this evening. And the only two that didn't hatch were fully formed, externally pipped, and had absorbed their yolk. I tapped, listened, opened around the pip a tiny bit to confirm, then took them out and they were already gone.

I think I'll try bringing down the temp a little more next time since it seems like they all hatched on the early side and the two I lost just couldn't get out.
Either the incubator was just a touch hotter than it should have been, or the eggs started developing before you put them in the incubator. If there's no hatch defects I would call it good and keep doing what you're doing. Some strains hatch differently than others in my experience.

View attachment 2309438View attachment 2309439
So cute, this past hatch I had one flopping around with it like a pac man boot, and one somehow had one leg out, and only the knee of the other, with the foot, hip, thigh being chomped by the dried up egg haha, he was still getting around, but was obviously quite agitated by it. We call them hermit crabs in my house :)

Look what my TSC carries now!! 😁:wee

No big bags yet but it’s a start!!

View attachment 2310336

You'll probably get the big bags in :) Not sure why but they've decided to go with carrying more variety suddenly, like this game bird feed and also duck pellets, etc. (I work at TSC part time - I like the discount :p )

You'll probably get the big bags in :) Not sure why but they've decided to go with carrying more variety suddenly, like this game bird feed and also duck pellets, etc. (I work at TSC part time - I like the discount :p )
I hope so!! And yes! It’s awesome!! They’ve had the duck pellets at my store for a little while now and that new Free Range Purina one but now they have game bird feed and I just noticed a new good brand of dog food there too :D

Well, the Pearl hatch is finished :) I hatched 11 chicks! I paid for seven eggs, so I'm not complaining, lol.

One of them is interesting. Not sure what it is, but it's very dark, almost black. The rest are all Pearls.

And I just locked down a small batch of eggs from my Lavenders. I'm starting to think they have more hidden genes than I thought. Last hatch, I hatched the two white ones, and three that looked really light but I thought they were just light lavenders. Now that they're feathering out, though, they are VERY light. I'm wondering if they're actually Lavender Italian - which would make them Snowie.

Gonna see what I get in this next hatch, though it's not very big. I need to set a larger batch and see what I get.

Back
Top Bottom