āž” Quail Hatch AlongšŸ„š

Add a sealed jar of water as a heat sink for temperature stabilization. What style/brand/model of incubator is this?

I'm using a Hovabator forced air styrofoam and Kiki has a Little Giant still air.

Good point. Where is your incubator? Close to a window? In a drafty location that has temperature swings? Sounds like you need to find a nice closet without a vent in it. Consider wrapping a towel around it too. Nothing air tight or it won't breathe. I saw where one person put the incubator in a box with an open top to shield the temperature swings.

My incubator is a home built and very particular about things when it comes to lockdown. My incubator is in my room and exposed to a draft when the AC turns on (can't be helped, unfortunately because there is no room for it elsewhere). When the AC kicks on, the temperature drops by 0.2 degrees and the humidity drops by like 4 %. The digital thermometers I use track temperature and humidity over time through an app. The incubator itself is a converted wine cooler so it has some amazing insulation.

Add a sealed jar of water as a heat sink for temperature stabilization. What style/brand/model of incubator is this?

I'm using a Hovabator forced air styrofoam and Kiki has a Little Giant still air.
Outside of lockdown, I use a fist-sized rock as a heat sink. When in lockdown, I figure the humidity is enough of a heat sink. That's why I like having slightly high humidity, it keeps the temp from swinging a lot when the heating element cycles on and off.

My incubator is a home built and very particular about things when it comes to lockdown. My incubator is in my room and exposed to a draft when the AC turns on (can't be helped, unfortunately because there is no room for it elsewhere). When the AC kicks on, the temperature drops by 0.2 degrees and the humidity drops by like 4 %. The digital thermometers I use track temperature and humidity over time through an app. The incubator itself is a converted wine cooler so it has some amazing insulation.
I wouldn't sweat the 0.2Ā°F or the humidity swings. 10Ā°F would worry me. My styrobator swings at least 5Ā°F day to night cycle.

Can you put yours under a table? Is it even necessary?

Good for you for making one! It's on my to do list. But I'm lazy.

Outside of lockdown, I use a fist-sized rock as a heat sink. When in lockdown, I figure the humidity is enough of a heat sink. That's why I like having slightly high humidity, it keeps the temp from swinging a lot when the heating element cycles on and off.
A sealed container of water is a much better heat sink than a rock is.

I was going to ask what kind of rock. Regardless, the specific heat of rocks are less than that of water. I agree. Water is better.
Noted- thank you. I will use some mason jars next time.

I think I figured out why my hatch is moving slowly. It's not--the first one is malpositioned so it pipped straight through the shell instead of internal pip first. Usually, there is some time between internal and external pip so it makes sense that it is still resting.

Well, Myshire emailed me back (I was talking to Jenna) and they are still going to reship me eggs, which is good, but she also told me she talked to Zack and he told her that regular browns were not uncommon when hatching Egyptians.

Which isn't true. You can't hatch Pharoahs from a pen of just Egyptians. The only way that can be happening is if there are other, non Roux-dilute, colors in the pen. Like Pharoah.

Oh well, hopefully the new eggs do what they should do and hatch all Egyptian aside from random recessives like white. We'll see.

Back
Top Bottom