➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

Please show us the box once you finish it.

I sure will absolutely! It’s kinda slow going cause I am collecting like the unique eggs but I’ll prob just have to choose some I like that have pretty speckled patterns to fill it out, and maybe a few more wings. I was going to hang it too, I’ll prob use one that is “aged” looking kinda “farmish” lolol

supposedly 3 jumbo per sq foot but I personally would not permanently house them that way.
I had just under 2 per square foot at first and while they seemed content and didn't fight, they refused to lay. Even at 1 per square foot, I had to cull back further. Now I'm at 1 per 2 square feet and they are laying well. I could certainly add some more at this point, but I wouldn't go over 1 adult per square foot.

Buried in cornmeal in a (diaper:rolleyes:)box. Seriously its that simple. U kno its too hot to dry a skin (like a bunny) the traditional way.
I use to do taxidermy, professionally, until I moved from North Texas to South Texas.
Are you scraping the meat off the wing bones on the underside of the wing? If not they will rot and smell bad and will attract bugs(dermal beetles).
I used Calorox preservative when mounting birds...great stuff. Got it from Elwoods supply when they were in business, I think Van Dykes or Touchstone carries it now.

I use to do taxidermy, professionally, until I moved from North Texas to South Texas.
Are you scraping the meat off the wing bones on the underside of the wing? If not they will rot and smell bad and will attract bugs(dermal beetles).
I used Calorox preservative when mounting birds...great stuff. Got it from Elwoods supply when they were in business, I think Van Dykes or Touchstone carries it now.

Great info! No sir i did not and it worked this way for cosmosue, wings only so maybe cuz theres so little meat on the quail wing and a whole month down in cornmeal to dry it out? The skin section is Just skin no meat (t'would be wasting my dinner!)

Great info! No sir i did not and it worked this way for cosmosue, wings only so maybe cuz theres so little meat on the quail wing and a whole month down in cornmeal to dry it out? The skin section is Just skin no meat (t'would be wasting my dinner!)

Yes mine dried just fine, did not smell, and no bugs. It’s an old method used by native Americans as far as I know. And no there is hardly any meat at all to scrape off the bones so really no point.

There is nothing to scrape off it just dries right up. Takes about a month in a cool dry area inside a box. It’s not really traditional “taxidermy” it’s more just preserving a wing. *shrug*

Attachments

• FCE2E9A4-1CC6-480A-9FAB-4CBAD405771B.jpeg
    FCE2E9A4-1CC6-480A-9FAB-4CBAD405771B.jpeg
    439.9 KB · Views: 7
:gigI wonder what super suburban people do in their spare time...while we play with preserved dead things
Hey, preserved dead things are cool. I don't have any bird wings, but I wanted to save a few of the quail ones the last time I processed. Maybe I will next time.

I was going to save the weasel pelt that I got this spring, but I've no idea how to preserve it.

Hey, preserved dead things are cool. I don't have any bird wings, but I wanted to save a few of the quail ones the last time I processed. Maybe I will next time.

I was going to save the weasel pelt that I got this spring, but I've no idea how to preserve it.

Simple simple dear like u saw in my pics i jus tacked it down to keep it in place otherwise it could draw up while drying. Then like a couple inches of cornmeal in the bottom couple more on top the wood, took about 10 lbs costed about 5$. wing is face up tacked down but face down in the box.

Back
Top Bottom